Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP refuses to start properly anymore. Can't get on internet.

• Please log in to reply

rabid_child

rabid_child

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'd like to preface this by saying that I am very close to being completely computer illiterate.

Today I decided it was time to figure out what was wrong with my family's desktop computer, since it had been slowing down like crazy for months. We've tried defragmenting it, but that never ended up solving anything. I've been to tons of websites and tried to use solutions from problems similar to mine, and it stopped being so laggy, but now other problems have cropped up. Some old, some new. I'll try to list everything I've seen happen.

I've made many notes.

First of all, before I even log on to my desktop, several "svchost.exe application error" messages pop up. On my last start up there were three different ones that popped up about six or seven times that read as follows:

The instruction at "0x00c10687" referenced memory at "0x00c10687". The memory could not be "written".
And then the OK to terminate, or cancel to debug.

The other numbers that appear are "0x00370687" and "0x00b10687". All of them appear twice in each message, just like the first one I typed out.
No matter whether I click OK or CANCEL, the same thing happens. My desktop ends up starting up in classic mode with no internet connection. I don't know if there's a correlation, though. And it doesn't end there...

As soon as my desktop appears, A RUNDLL popup appears that says,

Error loading C:\WINDOWS\Qleweyuvasaxog.dll
The specified module could not be found.

With an OK button.

Then, C:\Program Files\Common always chooses to open, for some reason.

After that, I get a hpqthb08.exe application error that reads as follows:

The application failed to initialize properly (0x000007b). Click on OK to terminate the application.
OK.

The first thing I ever did to this computer was attempt to stop process from dragging it down. I figured out that net.exe was using up almost all of my memory on the task manager. I used this article: http://www.file.net/...ss/net.exe.html to work up the guts to get rid of it. After I did, my computer ran smoothly with no lag whatsoever. I thought I was done. But all those other problems kept cropping up.

So I looked up more info and read in several resources that McAfee caused several problems on XP. Since I had that installed ever since the problems started several months ago, I uninstalled it.

That seemed to cause the culmination of every problem and made all the svchost.exe application errors appear.

I'd first of all like to know if that was a bad decision? Haha...

Also, I just noticed something odd....
On my computer, I brought up the task manager on a whim.

There are now 34 processes running called "qm2mqzt4e0.exe"

I'm posting this in this section because I didn't know where to start. I'd love to say that malware is the problem, for then I would actually KNOW, but I honestly don't have an inkling of what's happening.

Thank you for your time. I hope I didn't put up too many problems at once, haha.

Advertisements

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hello rabid_child

Welcome to G2G! My name is Oreo Collas and I'll be helping today. Please be sure that you print or copy all of the instructions to a document on your desktop as many of the directions may require you to log into Safe Mode or unhook your internet connection.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure to read through all the directions and make sure that you understand them completly before doing any thing. If there is something that you do not unsderstand then let me know and I will elaborate. Skipping steps, working out of order, or working ahead of the directions may cause undesireable results.

First of all, I'd like to start off that this could be a possible infection and you may need to post in the infections thread, but let's run some tests first.

1) Turn on your computer and wait for the BIOS screen to load and go away.
2) After the BIOS screen goes away repeatidly hit "F8" and that should bring up a menu.
3) Select safe mode and hit "enter"

Do the error messages still come up? If so what ones?

We will need some more information
If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:
The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

rabid_child

rabid_child

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for replying!

I restarted in safe mode and none of the error messages appeared.

I'm not sure of all the info you're asking for, honestly.

I know it's a Dell Dimension XPS that we got in 2004 with Windows XP Media Center Edition.

The system properties says,

"Dell DIMENSION XPS
Intel Pentium
4 CPU 3.20 GHz
3.19 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM."

I don't know if that helps. If not, could you direct me where I need to look?

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Alright. That is a good sign. That meens all of the errors are coming from programs that start up in regular boot. Please follow these steps in safe mode.

1) Click on your start button (Usually at the lower left corner.)
2) Select "Run" (If you do not have that option let me know and I'll walk you through how to get it to show up.)
3) Type in "msconfig" (Without the quotes (").) and hit "enter"
4) Click the radio button next to custom boot
5) Select the tab at the top lables "Startup"
6) Uncheck all of the boxes there except for the ones relating to your firewall and your virus protection software. (If you're not sure what those are then let me know what software you are useing to protect yourself.)
7) Click "OK"
8) You will get a pop up asking you if you want to reboot. Reboot naw and reboot into normal mode.

Do you still get the pop ups?

[EDIT: Spelling]

Edited by Oreo Collas, 12 April 2009 - 04:09 PM.

rabid_child

rabid_child

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
"4) Click the radio button next to custom boot"

I don't see this, but I am looking at the system configuration utility.

It is a startup selection screen with choices between normal, diagnostic, and selective startups.

Am I supposed to click on the "selective startup" button? It has greyed out choices below it that seem similar to what you're talking about.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You want the selective startup.
Then go to the startup tab and uncheck all of the items listed, except for firewall and virus scanner.
If you are unsure of the firewall and virus scanner, let us know.

Then reboot as instructed.

You are not uninstalling any software, just keeping it from starting up so we can find the problem.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Yes. My apologies. I was trying to tell you from memory. Click the selective startup radio button.

rabid_child

rabid_child

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I actually got rid of McAfee and was intending on installing Avast on my PC, which I have on my laptop. I haven't been able to install new protection software, though, since my internet JUST stopped working.

Since McAfee is already gone, will that make a difference?

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
If you do not have one installed then you do not need to worry about unchecking the box, but this could be why you are having this problem. Continue with out steps and post back to let us know. I'll decide then if I think you chould post on the infected thread.

rabid_child

rabid_child

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
An error message appeared.

"An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes."

I AM logged on as the administrator... blah...

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

rabid_child

rabid_child

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Alright. Thank you. I will try that.