Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safari shut down

• Please log in to reply

AmaraJ

AmaraJ

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My laptop lets me go onto the safari homepage which still takes a while to appear. I will only be on the safari homepage for 3 seconds and it closes every time i try. My laptop says that i have internet access and even though i can not go on the internet i am still able to go on AIM to instant message.

Advertisements

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hello User

Welcome to G2G! My name is Oreo Collas and I'll be helping today. Please be sure that you print or copy all of the instructions to a document on your desktop as many of the directions may require you to log into Safe Mode or unhook your internet connection.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure to read through all the directions and make sure that you understand them completly before doing any thing. If there is something that you do not unsderstand then let me know and I will elaborate. Skipping steps, working out of order, or working ahead of the directions may cause undesireable results.

We will need some more information
If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:
The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

AmaraJ

AmaraJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Processor @ GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
What type of firewall and virus protection do you have on your computer?

AmaraJ

AmaraJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello & thank you!

I see fire vault, which is set to off, when trying to turn it on is says I don't have enoghht hard drive space...I don't beleive I have any Anti-virus on my Mack just on my PC

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Are you needing help with your Mac or your PC?

AmaraJ

AmaraJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
the computer we are having problems with is the mac notebook

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Well, I know there are only a few viruses that can actually run on a Mac, but even at that, if you do not have protection It's possible your problem may be related to that. On a side note, I have no experience with Mac and I'll have to turn this over to someone else as I do not feel I can help you with the issue you are having.

AmaraJ

AmaraJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Alright, thank you so much for you help.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Amara
This is what I did.
In finder use find files (or apple f) in the search box put in safari and let it serach.
I then moved to trash the safari elm file the safari plist file the history plist (you will loose history)
I opened the themes folder and deleted all the folders in side that folder.
I then launched safari from the application file that showed in the search box.
Cheers
Peterm