Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mobile broadband won't work on laptop that good

• Please log in to reply

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I have an ASUS laptop running windows. No software problems that I have seen. I got an AT&T mobile broadband connexion that seems to start up fine when I turn it on and it loads up and I get it all connected. Then the trouble starts. After only a few minutes, virtually always the connexion dies on the IE browser and I got no idea why. It sometimes returns after 5 or 10 minutes of waiting or trying, but usually I have to shut the whole thing off entirely and boot it up again. Then the whole thing happens all over again. It seems to be getting worse.

I noticed it a couple times the first two days or so I bought it, but it was no big deal since the connexion always returned pretty quickly and it was all good. I also thought it was because the reception was spotty but the same thing is happening if the reception is one bar or all 5 bars {I live in an area with good coverage so it's usually high} whether I'm in motion or stationary with it, whether it is plugged in or using the battery, and if on battery, whether the battery is fully charged or getting low. Doesn't matter.

Is this normal for mobile broadband? as in, it is very difficult to maintain an internet connexion? The browser fails to load pages even though the AT&T connexion box thing says that I am connected. The little thing I plug into the side to enable the internet seems to be working normally. No little balloons pop up saying the net is poorly connected or the connexion was lost. This is my first time with mobile broadband or a laptop so is this just something everyone has to deal with when browsing the net on a mobile broadband connexion?

I have tried everything and need help. Please reply...If this is in the wrong section then I need to be told what the correct board is, because I looked all over and couldn't find anywhere more specific.

Edited by wynnyelle, 14 April 2009 - 07:00 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Is this normal for mobile broadband? as in, it is very difficult to maintain an internet connexion?

no its not if you show 5 bars...it can be if your down to 1 bar...your topic in the waiting room said you have one day left to return the laptop...I would