Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unusual shortcut problem

• Please log in to reply

DHFCwebmaster

DHFCwebmaster

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I tried checking to see if this was answered in another post but keep getting 'database access' errors so forgive me if this has been asked and answered.

The problem I have is this. I maintain a website for a church. The pastor of this chuch asked me if I could come to the church and fix a problem on his computer since I was the only "computer guy" he knew. The problem sounded simple... his internet shortcuts (url files) would go to print when he double clicked on them. I figured the default action got changed so I agreed.

Of course the problem is not so simple. The default action for .url is already set to open with IE but if you right click a .url file the options you get are Print (in Bold), a divider, Send To, another divider, Cut, Copy, third divider, Create Shortcut, Delete, Rename, the last divider and Properites. Shift right click produces the same menu - no open with.

I tried changing the default to print and then back to see if that would fix the problem. Nope. I checked in the registry to see what CLSID was assigned under .url but it was the same CLSID as was assigned under .htm and .html - the one that is supposed to open IE.

What could be changing the context menu for .url? All of his favorites in the start menu no longer work and he can't even shift right click to go there. Until I can get this fixed he can only access his url files from within a web browser window. :tazz:

Any assistance with this would be appreciated.

DHFCwebmaster

Advertisements