Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Security

• Please log in to reply

Mr.steve99

Mr.steve99

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
The new drive is a slave. I’ve gone to properties but can not check the box that says “Make the folder private.” Now what?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are you trying to do that on the root of the drive or a specific folder within the drive?

Mr.steve99

Mr.steve99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I'm trying to secure a folder on another diskdrive. Not the root I don't believe? I'ts a new drive I put into my computer. I conected it as a slave.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you're not trying to protect the whole disk or anything though (i.e. trying to do the whole d: drive or whatever letter you're using)

Mr.steve99

Mr.steve99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok I’ve got a local C drive and a local D drive. When I view properties on D, and go to sharing it says “ If you understand the risk but still want to share the root of the drive, click here.” Ok when I click on it, I now can see the check box that says “ Make this folder private!” but its faded and I still can’t check it. It also asks if I want to set it up as a network. Do I have to set this drive as a network first in order to check the box?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the "d:" part is the root of the drive....what if you try to set a FOLDER inside of D as private? is the check box still greyed out?

Mr.steve99

Mr.steve99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yes, folders and also the drive is greyed out.