Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I have D: as my primary partition...

• Please log in to reply

xp_even

xp_even

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I had installed Windows XP Sp3 and it installed to D: partition.Now I have D: as my primary partition.
Also my boot.ini file is missing and an error appears stating this every time I boot my PC.
Can I change the drive letter of my primary partition to C:? And how can I get my boot.ini to work properly?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
is there anything actually installed in this instance of XP? or did you JUST get it installed? if it's 100% fresh (i.e. nothing you need to worry about saving) your quickest solution is to format and reinstall

Can I change the drive letter of my primary partition to C:?

yes you can do this....as in you're physically able to...but it RARELY works out the way you want it to....and is generally a bad idea...

how many hard drives are in the computer?

xp_even

xp_even

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I have 2 hard drives installed: a 160 GB on which XP resides and a 500GB one.
What can I do about the boot.ini error at startup?