Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

vista wont recognise new sata drive ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all, ,
I am well versed in upgrading computers and quite recently made my own quad core machine myself without a single error or problem.
More recently, as i am using my handbuilt machine as a digital recording studio, i got a good offer through my employer and purchased a fujitsu seimens quad cor pc and a dual core laptop. Cutting a long story short , the pc should have come with 2 500gb drives but arrived with only one 640gb sata drive. The company sent me a further 325gb sata drive to even things up a bit and despite it sitting on my shelf for a few weeks i have only now decided to fit it.

I know what i am doing and fitting the drive was unproblematic , apart from the fact that its not recognised at all and isnt showing up in device manager or anywhere else for that matter ?
Its seated properly, , the cables are all sorted and seated properly, , i am quite confused to be honest and instead of standing here scratching my headfor a few days i thought i would post here about this issue, , quite embarressed to do so really, , but hey ho, , we are all only human after all and something simple might have been missed ?

Any ideas anyone ??

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not sure about Vista but the basics to Xp should to be the same
You will need to go into Computer Management to partition and format the drive. Without partitions it won't show up under My Computer in Xp. I'm sure the same goes for Vista
To get to computer management try this
Go to Search>type in compmgmt.msc click enter
Left side of screen go to Disk Management
Right pane right click on new drive and click on New Partition
Set your partition size to your needs
Then after it is done you will need to right click on the new partition and format using NTFS
Do this for other new drive as well.
Once they are done exit program and look in My Computer or what Vista has for the same program and drives should be there.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Why of course, , , , i knew the answer would be something stupid that has passed me by.

Thankyou so much for your very prompt answer , i dont think i will have any further problems now,

Many thanks , ,kev

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please let us know if this resolves your issue. This will help others who may have the same issue and read this topic.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi rshaffer61,
As i said in my prevoius post thanking you for jogging my memory the issue has been resolved by following your instruction.

The only thing you missed ,was prior to giving the drive a letter and formatting it, you first need to initialise the drive , again by right clicking it, selecting initialise, ,then once you have given it a label, and a drive letter you can once again right click it and start the formatting session. Without the initialisation first, vista wont allow you to format.
Apart from that minor point, your instruction was spot on, and as i have said earlier, your instruction served me well and jogged my memory to the part of the proccess that i had foolishly missed.

The drive is now active and all went well as was expected.

Once again, many , many thanks for your advice, , problem resolved.

Thankyou, , kev

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help. Please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible