Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows keeps trying to install update

• Please log in to reply

pjgoodman2

pjgoodman2

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
This has been an ongoing problem for me. I've been to the Microsoft website and they advise to run the Malicious Software Removal Tool. Done this, no malicious software detected. I've downloaded it numerous times and still the prompting.

I've had help on this site recently removing malware/spyware/adware and my logs are clean. What's going on? Do I have to just turn off Automatic Updates? Is it possible I'm still infected with something?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No auto updates is just what it sounds like. Microsoft is always updating it''s OS system security and their other products. If you don't want to be annoyed by the prompt you can go to auto update settings and tell it to update and install. Caution depending on the update that it does it may require a reboot and the system will do that on it's own if you do this.
You can also set your updates to happen in the middle of the night as I have so that way you are not bothered with it.
Let me know if this is answering your question

Also as far as another infection:
Possible Yes
Likely No

This will be determined by the following:
How long ago you had Malware assistance
Any P2p programs you have used
Any Updates or software you may have installed from 3rd party sites that were not scanned for infections before using

Edited by rshaffer61, 13 April 2009 - 08:56 AM.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
An update is available that improves the compatibility and the reliability of Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 on a Windows Vista-based computer

If this update sounds familiar, please follow it. Windows will continually offer this update. While in Windows update, hide this update.

pjgoodman2

pjgoodman2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I'd hate to have to shut off the Automatic updating but I will if I have to. But what's puzzling is that it's the same update I've already installed numerous times: "Security Update Microsoft Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430)

I downloaded and installed it (again) this morning and a few minutes later, I was prompted to download and update it yet again.

pjgoodman2

pjgoodman2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Oh, I had malware assistance last week on here and no P2P programs used since, only switched firewall from Zonealarm to Comodo.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

what's puzzling is that it's the same update I've already installed numerous times: "Security Update Microsoft Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430)"

Please go ahead and hide this update! Microsoft recommends to hide it. If you search in Windows Update help panel in Windows Update, it will say the same thing. Hide it!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I'd hate to have to shut off the Automatic updating but I will if I have to. But what's puzzling is that it's the same update I've already installed numerous times: "Security Update Microsoft Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430)

I downloaded and installed it (again) this morning and a few minutes later, I was prompted to download and update it yet again.

If you are sure it has installed then follow Dragonmaster Jay's suggestion

pjgoodman2

pjgoodman2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
OK, I'll just hide it and not download it again. Thanks.