Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

pc turns off during start up

• Please log in to reply

henrikb

henrikb

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
in my previous topic i wrote:

" dear sirs,

i'm prompted for my password when logging on to windows just as usual, then i enter my password and windows starts loading, i can hear the start up tune and i can display my desktop bagground for a few seconds, then windows logs off automaticly and i can hear the logging off tune, and i am back at the log on to windows prompt, this repeats itself in eternity, the same thing happens, when i try to start my pc in safe mode or when i shut my pc down and start it up again, i have windows xp professional, please advise

best regards,
henrik"

dear sirs,

thank you for your replies, but i feel a little bit misunderstood, so i post a new topic. i think my last topic was closed...

...anyway, i havn't forgotten my username or password, they're both perfectly correct, there's something wrong with my pc, i was installing norton internet security 2009, when i was attacked by some kind of virus, not vundo, so i ran malwarebytes anti-malware and it detected and deleted about 16 infections, including vundo, after this i continued with the installation of norton is 2009, and to complete the installation i restarted my pc, after this i can't log on to windows anymore. i have been infected with vundo for about a week, and i am not sure whether it was fully deleted by malwarebytes anti-malware, because i had not been able to delete it previously, also with norton is 2009.

best regards,
henrik

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

The specific virus you state is tricky and can hide.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What happens when you try to logon. Does the computer start logging in and stops immediately or is it something else. Please explain.

Can you boot in safe mode?

henrikb

henrikb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
thank you for your replies.

rshaffer61... how do you expect me to go to the Malware Forum and clean my pc when i can not even start windows!?

the skeptic... i have described everything in my first post. my pc can't log on to windows either normally or in safe mode. when i log on to windows it starts loading for a few seconds and plays the start up tune, then displays the logging of windows dialog box in a flash, plays the logging off tune and returns to the log on to windows screen :)

best regards,
henrik

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
For this you will have to boot to recovery console. when ther, please run the following command pressing Enter after each of them.

d: (please note: d: stands for your CD/DVD drive. If it has another letter change d: to the correct letter)
cd i386
expand userinit.ex c:\windows\system32 (please note the space before c:\)
exit

henrikb

henrikb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
dear the skeptic,

yesterday i handed my pc over to an expert like you and looked him over his shoulder as he appeared to be doing exactly what you recommended me to do. my knowledge of pc's is so poor, and i need my pc back in the game urgently. the problem will hopefully be solved by this afternoon, when i receive my pc again. i appreciate you help.

best regards,
henrik

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.

Regards