Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

WinXPProOS mbr problems?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
All this started when trying to replace CDROM Since then have been locked out of system and it does not load Windows. It is AMIBIOS system AMD ATHELON Processor.
It has a 3.5" floppy, CDROM reader and USB ports. Keyboard is hardwired in(not USB)
Computer boots up and first 2 DOS screens show initial information ending with:
Searching for Boot Record from Floppy..not found(because there is nothing in there)
Searching for Boot Record from CDROM..not found >even though WIN98se CD "is" there.???
Searching for Boot Record from IDE-0.. OK

then the cursor is on the next line by itself flashing with no drive letter (the keyboard is dead for typing)

Mainly because I wanted to go to Win98se on CD to get fdisk/mbr

>the reason I am using Win98se is because the XP disk I have is not the same as what is in the computer and am trying to avoid a possible conflict or confusion<

But I can't get there

So, I never did switch the CREATIVE CDROM36X MX over, and I have tried a "plug and play" CDROM thinking that maybe this one just quit on me but no difference.

The green light shows on the face but the disc does not turn high speed. You cannot hear more than minor scraping noises?

Is it possible that the CREATIVE CDROM36X MX needs a driver? "just occurs to me now about drivers" ***(As I am writing right here)

As when I was initially trying to switch the CREATIVE with a different make - a BENQ CDROM(burner type) in the beginning, I plugged in the wires and turned on the PC and went on the net - - but not using the CDROM. I powered down the pc later and did not worry about it till the next day.

As I was swapping CDROMS between 2 computers I noticed the problem first with the other computer. So, I put the old one back and with help got the other computer up and running.
No CDROM swap.

The computer I have problems with sees the old CDROM(CreativeMX) by name(looking through the BIOS).
Maybe the issue is the driver vaporized? That is, if there is such a thing for CDROM's.

I am asking because I am dumb. And if there is a driver, is it downloadable to floppy on another computer(because that is the only way I can transfer information at this time between machines) as only one is connected to the internet.

• 34,114 posts
your description of bios post screen is showing no os system or hd is not hooked up correctly.
Please recheck all connections and make sure the drive is connected like it was before the changes.

That being said

We will need some more information

If this is a name brand system:
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:

The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

Edited by rshaffer61, 13 April 2009 - 12:03 PM.