Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Set up a private network

• Please log in to reply

wolfganglump

wolfganglump

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have a pc connected to a medium sized network in XP Home by ethernet cable. I need to link a non networked pc directly to a networked pc. I want to be able to swap files between the 2 but for security I don't want the new pc on the main network. Can I do this without having to unplug the networked pc from the network and direct connect it to the secure pc? I realize XP pro would have been a better option but it just is not an option right now.

Advertisements

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hello wolfganglump

Welcome to G2G! My name is Oreo Collas and I'll be helping today. Please be sure that you print or copy all of the instructions to a document on your desktop as many of the directions may require you to log into Safe Mode or unhook your internet connection.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure to read through all the directions and make sure that you understand them completly before doing any thing. If there is something that you do not unsderstand then let me know and I will elaborate. Skipping steps, working out of order, or working ahead of the directions may cause undesireable results.

There are a couple different ways to achieve this, but I supose the easiest way would be to make sure your networked PC has two Network Interface Controllers (NIC) (Network jacks) and to run a network cable from that computer to a router, then another one from a router to the new computer. You can also get a direct connect cable to run from the networked computer to the new computer. I've also heard rumor that some off the newer NICs are able to use a regular network cable as a direct connect, but I have not been able to verrify that yet.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Friendly note: check spelling Oreo Collas. If you are using Firefox, I recommend the United States English Dictionary Add-on(Secure site).

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Friendly note: check spelling Oreo Collas. If you are using Firefox, I recommend the United States English Dictionary Add-on(Secure site).

Thankyou. I have been looking for something like that. Hehe.

wolfganglump

wolfganglump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks I will do it. Sounds too easy. Will be great as long as no one can traferse the network to the networked pc and then to the private one. Awesome.