Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer freezes (XP Pro sp 3)

• Please log in to reply

Encorepilot

Encorepilot

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello,

Jimmy2012 has been trying to help me with what we thought was a malware issue and has refered me to start a new topic in this forum. It now looks like the problem is not malware. It all started a few weeks ago when I tried to drag a file to a folder and the computer froze. I thought it might be a virus so I ran a routine virus scan with Mcafee. The computer froze, except I could still move the mouse. I followed the instructions for malware removal in the malware forum, but the computer kept freezing during different scans. I even tried to reinstall windows hoping that I could clean everything off. During the install it froze just like when running virus scans. Last week the computer froze while I was minimizing a window, this time the mouse also froze. When I restarted the computer windows would not start normally. It will only start in safe mode. Anyhow, I was getting help yesterday on Microsofts website, during the chat the tech remotley accessed my computer and took a look around. The event viewer had a red x item: "The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: Fips Intelppm" That's as far as the tech would take me and offered an 800 number for more assistance. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Link to original topic http://www.geekstogo...es-t233418.html

Thank You,

Encorepilot

Edited by Encorepilot, 13 April 2009 - 12:11 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok got this info from malware topic
Dell Latitude E5500

that being said, try this
Bootinto safe mode. Go to users accounts. Create a new user account with admin rights. try booting into that account. It's possible you may have a corrupted profile

Reply back with the results

Encorepilot

Encorepilot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
rshaffer61,

I followed your instructions, after creating a new account while in safe mode, I restarted the computer. It appeared to be starting normal. I chose the new account and the computer froze on the welcome screen (blue screen) it shows the icon and name of the new account and under it the name it says "Applying your personal settings..." I can move the mouse, but thats it. I have to remove the battery to restart.

Thanks,

encorepilot

Edited by Encorepilot, 13 April 2009 - 07:51 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok then lets see if we can get allot in on as many reboots as possible. Please follow each step exactly and post back with the results after trying to reboot.

First

Go to
Start>>Run>>>type in Chkdsk /f
click enter...it will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixs the problem

Go to
Start>>Run>>>type in Chkdsk /r
click enter...it will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer the chkdsk /f
Note... there are 5 stages...it may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS... this can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixs the problem

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it here: http://www.flyupload.com/, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
(this applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc")
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start>Run, type in:
regedit
Click OK.

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries (Values) on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive,(usually D:) and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Encorepilot

Encorepilot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
when I reboot should I reboot into safe mode or just let it start normal? I tried the Chkdsk /f and it says "The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)" I chose yes, the window disappeared, and I manually restarted the computer into normal mode. Like before it froze on the welcome screen after I chose my user account. I'm going to try Chkdsk /r now...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
did the chkdsk run?
It should have come up with a blue screen and showed 3 tests it was running. If it showed no errors then it did not find any. It should then restart your system on its own

Encorepilot

Encorepilot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I ran Chkdsk /r and during stage 4 of 5 it had an error and stopped. I did not have time to write down the info on the screen. Another blue screen popped up that says "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need. I problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hrdware or software. disalbe BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe mode.

Technical information: STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x8944D1C8, 0x8944D33C, 0x805D297C)

thanks,

encorepilot

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That error is not good. Just helped someone with the exact error. It's point to the ide. That means it could be the controller on the mb, the ribbon, and worse the hd is failing

First can you get inside the system?
If you can then check the ribbon connected to the hd and the mb. Try disconnecting each end one at a time and reconnecting them
If that doesn't fix the problem then we need to check the hd
what make is it? Seagate, Toshiba, Western Digital?
I have the link in my signature below for the manufactures HD diagnostic software. Please find the maker of your hd and run the program. Let it test the drive completely and then post back with any errors it may find.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Hmmm...I feel like, I know the above sfc manual from somewhere.....

Encorepilot

Encorepilot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
rshaffer61

I just tried to restart the computer and now it will not start in safe mode. Problem keeps getting worse. Is it possible that this could be a virus or the results of a virus? I'm not comfortable opening up the computer. I'm not sure the brand of the hd. The computer is a Dell Latitude E5500. I purchased it new at Christmas. I was just looking through my paperwork. Says I have Gold Technical Support 3yrs and CompleteCare Accidental Damage Service 3 years. I think I'll give Dell a call in the morning and let them handle it.
I'll get back to you either way and let you know the results.

Thanks,

encorepilot

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If this system is still under warranty then do not open it unless instructed by Dell's technician.
please do call Dell, and I apologize as the mention of this was never brought up and I should have asked. Please let us know what you find out.

Encorepilot

Encorepilot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
:) Dell Support had me restart the computer while holding down the Fn key. This did a diognostic test. It revealed that the hard drive was bad. Dell tech came to my house today and installed a new hard drive. Computer works great.....Thanks for all your help...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help. Dell did a great job helping you out. Kudos to them.
Please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible