Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook - 'Personal Folders' Not closed properly

• Please log in to reply

adgeek29

adgeek29

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I consistently get the message on outlook: "The data file 'Personal Folders' was not closed properly. The file
is being checked for problems."

I've had this in the past and I now when I close Outlook, I ALWAYS empty the deleted folder, hit close items, then hit exit. Nothing helps. Very frustrating to open outlook and always have to wait between 5-20 minutes for it check for problems. This happens even with a re-boot - Is there a way to solve this?

THANKS!!!!!

Advertisements

smith134

smith134

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Try to repair your pst file. Follow these steps:

1. Exit Outlook if it is running.
2. Double-click Scanpst.exe, located at drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12.
3. In the Enter the name of the file you want to scan box, enter the name of the .pst or .ost file that you want to check, or click Browse to search for the file.
4. To specify the scan log options, click Options, and then click the option that you want.
5. Click Start.
If errors are found after the scan is complete, you will be prompted to start the repair process to fix the errors.
A backup file is created during the repair process. To change the default name or location of this backup file, in the Enter name of backup file box, enter a new name, or click Browse to look for the file that you want to use.

7. Click Repair.
8. Start Outlook by using the profile that contains the .pst file that you tried to repair.
9. On the Go menu, click Folder List.

In the Folder List, you may see a folder named Recovered Personal Folders that contains your default Outlook folders or a Lost and Found folder. The recovered folders are usually empty, because this is a rebuilt .pst file. The Lost and Found folder contains the folders and items recovered by the Inbox Repair tool. Items that are missing from the Lost and Found folder cannot be repaired.

10. If you see a Recovered Personal Folders folder, you can create a new .pst file, and drag the items in the Lost and Found folder into the new .pst file. When you have finished moving all the items, you can remove the Recovered Personal Folders (.pst) file, including the Lost and Found folder, from your profile.

adgeek29

adgeek29

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you! It seems to have worked.

paulwilson963

paulwilson963

• Pip
  • 1 posts

While opening MS outlook sometimes we face an error “Microsoft Outlook exited without properly closing your Outlook Data file. Microsoft Outlook must be restartedand this error will keeps on repeating every time you open MS outlook and Outlook will not open. We’ll discuss the reasons and appropriate solution for this problem http://www.intrigua....d-properly.html