Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I got this message when I turned on my PC today.

• Please log in to reply

MattCharles

MattCharles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
all i can do is try. I just hope the XP OS is on the recovery discs lol. i cant stand vista and i dont want to upgrade to that. I want to see how Windows 7 works out first.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
If you have the recovery discs already made then u will be fine. Get the larger hd.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Edited due to duplicate post

Edited by rshaffer61, 14 April 2009 - 11:55 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

all i can do is try. I just hope the XP OS is on the recovery discs lol. i cant stand vista and i dont want to upgrade to that. I want to see how Windows 7 works out first.

Vista has gotten a bad name due to the earlier releases. With the release of the SP1 for it I have found it to be stable. My inlaws just bought a new system that had Vista Sp1 installed, and after playing around with it for a couple of hours I found it really wasn't much different then XP. Some of the commands are alittle different and the look of it has changed alittle. All in all it seems good. Windows 7 is not scheduled for release till early next year but that could be late this year if things change. The only issue with Vista is drivers and that is getting better even now.
Also support for XP is scheduled to end about July according to Microsoft.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Also support for XP is scheduled to end about July according to Microsoft.

http://www.askvg.com...-april-14-2009/
Look at the link above too. It's from the blog of a Windows MVP.

Vista is ok for me, but I prefer XP. Windows 7 is how Vista should have been when it was released.

MattCharles

MattCharles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Go Here for your system specs

Go Here for your motherboard specs

Now it seems you can run either a IDE or Sata hd
That being the case you should be fine with either hd you picked

I went to best buy today and they told me that I can only get an IDE HD because my PC will not support a Sata HD. Is this true?

Edited by MattCharles, 14 April 2009 - 09:38 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is what it says on Your motherboard Specs

Storage Two UltraDMA 100 IDE connectors

Two Serial ATA connectors <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<SATA Controllers 2 of them

Unless they have information I don't have this shows you can. The best thing to do if you can is to take a picture of the inside of your case, Maybe a couple of good clear shots. Use a good digital with good zoom on it. Upload the pics in your next reply and I can see it better.

If your attachment is to big to attach then go Here. Register and upload your file. Then reply with the link located to the right of your now uploaded file on Mediafire

MattCharles

MattCharles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
i checked my second hard drive and its IDE hard drive. I also read over the info you gave me and it had all the information. So what should I do? Does IDE have 750 GB HD?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I can only find 500gb drives on the sites I use. I will keep looking

Edited by rshaffer61, 15 April 2009 - 09:14 PM.

MattCharles

MattCharles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Ok now I am VERY confused! I haven't been on my PC in a few days. I logged on today (on it now lol) because I remember some other things I wanted to save. I did not get that message that I needed to replace my HD and the Health of my HD is 92% now, not 1%

Why is that?!?!?!?! lol this is VERY confusing!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It could be still the hd is failing and you are having a good moment with it. There may have been a damaged sector that may have been repaired. It could be a ribbon on the hd or a problem with motherboard. Try it and see, get as much of your data backed up as you can just in case. Keep us informed so we can help along the way

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://www.disk-monitor.com/

Try running that and see what your hd health is. Things like this happen sometimes. Once, my laptop completely crashed, and the CMOS got messed up. I find that if I give the laptop time to "rest" (about a week) it will take more time to freeze in Windows (about 5 hrs. before freezing). Compared to when I tried turning on the laptop right after I did a hard restart. (froze in about 30 min.) Rshaffer's explanation is the best one for this weird problem.

MattCharles

MattCharles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

http://www.disk-monitor.com/

Try running that and see what your hd health is. Things like this happen sometimes. Once, my laptop completely crashed, and the CMOS got messed up. I find that if I give the laptop time to "rest" (about a week) it will take more time to freeze in Windows (about 5 hrs. before freezing). Compared to when I tried turning on the laptop right after I did a hard restart. (froze in about 30 min.) Rshaffer's explanation is the best one for this weird problem.

Thanks Edge2022!
I downloaded this just now and it says that my health is 92% as well. However, my second HD is 96% but the other program says it's 100%. I guess the other program rounded that one off lol. So What does this mean? My HD is ok still or it's playing a trick on me? I am SOO confused! I am however still treating this as I need to change my HD and I still have everything backed up. I am just saving some settings on here for later times when I do change the HD. I've had this HD for over 3 years almost 4. So I still think it should be good.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Something might have temporarily happened to the hd. It seems ok now. I suggest you keep using your computer daily, and perform both disk checks daily too. See if you can notice the health degrading. You might want to check if the disk has any minor errors using checkdisk (chkdsk). Can you also post the model of your hd. Click on the link in my sig labeled "Everest Instructions" and follow the steps.

To use chkdsk, right click the drive you want to check and select properties. Then go to the tools tab, and click on check now... Check none of the boxes, and press start.

Also try defragging the disk. http://download.cnet...e...&tag=button
Go there are download Auslogics Disk Defrag. Install it and defrag the hd.

Other than that you look good to go.

MattCharles

MattCharles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
thanks again. I am actually thinking of still replacing the HD for more space. However, I am going to wait on that though because I want to make sure this one is still ok. I still do not get what happened with this HD though. I do not use my PC that much. Mostly at nights, but I turn it off every night before I go to bed so it does get rest.