Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Change Name of Computer

• Please log in to reply

lynnecurtin

lynnecurtin

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
is there a way to change my computer name? I went to computer > properties > computer name and already changed it there, however i see that it still says the old name sometimes like when i go to save a file it says the original computer name that I setup.

is there a way to login to the registry perhaps and edit the name directly?

thx!

Advertisements

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hello lynnecurtin

Welcome to G2G! My name is Oreo Collas and I'll be helping today. Please be sure that you print or copy all of the instructions to a document on your desktop as many of the directions may require you to log into Safe Mode or unhook your internet connection.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure to read through all the directions and make sure that you understand them completly before doing any thing. If there is something that you do not unsderstand then let me know and I will elaborate. Skipping steps, working out of order, or working ahead of the directions may cause undesireable results.

We will need some more information
If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:
The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

Edited by Oreo Collas, 13 April 2009 - 03:42 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go Here and follow the instructions.
Let us know how it goes.

lynnecurtin

lynnecurtin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
hi thank u! i actually did that already (manually changed it in system properties) and it did change it however when i download files or install new programs it still says the original name in some places.

i will google it i think there is a way to edit it in the registry, if u have any specific instructions that would b great thx!

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Could you please review my post and let me know about your computer?

jck239

jck239

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello lynnecurtin

Welcome to G2G! My name is Oreo Collas and I'll be helping today. Please be sure that you print or copy all of the instructions to a document on your desktop as many of the directions may require you to log into Safe Mode or unhook your internet connection.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure to read through all the directions and make sure that you understand them completly before doing any thing. If there is something that you do not unsderstand then let me know and I will elaborate. Skipping steps, working out of order, or working ahead of the directions may cause undesireable results.

Make
Model

Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total

The CPU brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

I would like to know how ANY of the stuff in bold will help even you solve why the PC is not renaming correctly.
To be honest that stuff doesnt have ANYTHING to do with it. How would your processor type or how much free space you have really help!

To ACTUALLY answer the problem:
Open up regedit.exe and do a search for "ComputerName" It will find 4 results (Windows XP). Make sure all 4 entrys match your desired host name. If not change them to match. Restart your PC and job done!

And I managed to answer your question WITHOUT knowing any of the information above. :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Hello lynnecurtin

Make
Model

Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total

The CPU brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Any cards in PCI slots

I would like to know how ANY of the stuff in bold will help even you solve why the PC is not renaming correctly.
To be honest that stuff doesnt have ANYTHING to do with it. How would your processor type or how much free space you have really help!

Open up regedit.exe and do a search for "ComputerName" It will find 4 results (Windows XP). Make sure all 4 entrys match your desired host name. If not change them to match. Restart your PC and job done!

And I managed to answer your question WITHOUT knowing any of the information above. :)

how is ANY of the derogatory and condescending stuff you posted going to help? you come in to a post where someone is trying to help and you belittle them and take a "holier-than-thou" while doing the EXACT same thing that you're claiming someone else was doing (i.e. posting things that don't contribute to the fix)....i suggest you check your tone before you post again....or it will become difficult for you to post at all

jck239

jck239

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello lynnecurtin

Make
Model

Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total

The CPU brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Any cards in PCI slots

how is ANY of the derogatory and condescending stuff you posted going to help? you come in to a post where someone is trying to help and you belittle them and take a "holier-than-thou" while doing the EXACT same thing that you're claiming someone else was doing (i.e. posting things that don't contribute to the fix)....i suggest you check your tone before you post again....or it will become difficult for you to post at all

How did i do the same? I posted a solution to the problem (in bold)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

And I managed to answer your question WITHOUT knowing any of the information above.

how about that stuff? none of that helps the OP either.....and neither does your attitude...if you've got something to contribute (which i'm not going to argue that you did)....then contribute...it doesn't help anyone involved for you to add the other uselessness that you added to your post...nor does the attitude that it suggests...there's no reason to be snarky