Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

clean reinstall of vista with discs

• Please log in to reply

rougerman

rougerman

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello.

I did a clean reinstallation of vista and my wireless doesn't work. I am using a wired connection right now. The wireless led light doesn't come on either. Also, in device manager under other devices, there is a network controller with an exclamation point on it. I tried manually reinstalling the network driver from the disc but nothing happened.

Here is my specs:

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Inspiron 1521
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05
Processor: AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58 (2 CPUs), ~1.9GHz
Memory: 1918MB RAM
Page File: 771MB used, 3300MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode

These may be helpful as well:

System Devices
--------------
Name: Network Controller
Device ID: PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&SUBSYS_000B1028&REV_01\4&1F1CEA&0&0028
Driver: n/a

Name: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Device ID: PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_170C&SUBSYS_01FC1028&REV_02\4&35E69562&0&00A4

Name: Base System Device
Device ID: PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0852&SUBSYS_01FC1028&REV_12\4&35E69562&0&0CA4

Thanks for the help.
Wayne

Advertisements

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hello rougerman

Welcome to G2G! My name is Oreo Collas and I'll be helping today. Please be sure that you print or copy all of the instructions to a document on your desktop as many of the directions may require you to log into Safe Mode or unhook your internet connection.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure to read through all the directions and make sure that you understand them completly before doing any thing. If there is something that you do not unsderstand then let me know and I will elaborate. Skipping steps, working out of order, or working ahead of the directions may cause undesireable results.

First of all, I'll start out simple. What is the service tag for your Dell?

rougerman

rougerman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello Oreo and thanks for helping. My service tag is 4N3TLF1

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
If you go to http://support.dell..../...;l=en&s=gen it'll let you enter your service code there.
That'll take you to this page (which lists the drivers available for your system): http://support.dell..../...tid=&impid=

Expanding the Network category will reveal a bunch of choices - but there's only 2 there with Wireless in the description. The first wireless driver is the one you want, the 2nd one is an optional one that you probably don't need.

In the event that this isn't very clear, here's a link to the download: http://support.dell....p;fileid=236824

Download this file and then double click on it to start the installation process. Follow the prompts and you should be able to access things wirelessly

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Please go to the link below and make sure you download and install all of the latest drivers for your computer. Do not install anything relating to the BIOS less specifically instructed to do so.

http://support.dell..../...tid=&impid=

rougerman

rougerman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I downloaded the second one but when i run the installation my only option is to remove it so it must already be installed. I disconnected my wired connection but the wireless still doesnt work

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Uninstall the driver that you have installed and reinstall the drivers from this web site to make sure you have the latest drivers installed.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Is this the one you downloaded? http://support.dell....p;fileid=236824

rougerman

rougerman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Alright I think i was just downloading the wrong one. I started installing the wlan minicard driver and 92% in it says error cp 1072 installation cannot continue. I think it might have something to do with updates. I downloaded 72 of 77 updates and i just stopped them there. I don't know why i did that. Should i install the rest or should i uninstall the ones i already did and try it again?

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Give it a shot. Let us know.

rougerman

rougerman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i restarted and now my wireless works, even though the installation didnt finish.

Thanks for the help people

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Glad I could help.