Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dreamweaver not uploading to Freeservers website

• Please log in to reply

Etana

Etana

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Initially FTP worked fine and I could upload my clients website via dreamweaver ftp. Now, it connects but does not change anything on the remote server. No error pops up and it seems like it would work...just doesn't. I haven't changed any settings that I know of. I can still upload files one by one using the Freeservers file manager option...but there are a lot of pages and it is not very convenient. Please help!

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Edit: post removed by DragonMaster Jay. Does not apply to topic.

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 14 April 2009 - 01:40 PM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi DM Jay,

It is our custom to help as many people as we can.
Replacing someones IT department and helping him uncover a flaw in an application are two very different things.
Besides, leave the moderating to those that are appointed for it. :)
You know where to reach us if you think it's necessary.

Hi Etana,

Have you tried connecting to the site by IP rather then by domainname?
This sometimes helps (for reasons that escape me).

Etana

Etana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Wow...i wonder what he Jay said, but not too much.

I don't know how to connect by IP address. If you could tell me how I would be happy to try that out. Thanks for replying!

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi Etana,

If you look at the screenshots and explanation here:
http://kb.adobe.com/..._14787#site_def

Where it says FTP "server1.myhost.com" follow the recommendations under

In the FTP host field, enter the host name of the FTP host to which you upload files for your website. Your FTP host is the full Internet name of a computer system, such as ftp.mindspring.com. Enter the full host name without any additional text. In particular, don't add a protocol name in front of the host name. Port 21 is the default port for receiving FTP connections, however sometimes server administrators change the port setting to another port to prevent unauthorized FTP access. In those situations, you can append a colon and the port number to the FTP host entry. For example, if the port is 29, you would enter ftp.mindspring.com:29.

If you followed all those and it doesn't work, replace the host name with the IP-address of the server.
Sometimes that helps.

Etana

Etana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I tried replacing with the ip address. it still says that it connects, but when I upload with dreamweaver it still doesn't actually upload. it says it does, but when i go to the website it is the same as before. I found I can upload using another program, like filezilla, which is okay but an annoying extra step. I tried to duplicate the information exactly and dreamweaver still doesn't work.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
That is indeed strange.
Does the dreamweaver ftp show the correct current content when you connect with it?

Etana

Etana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Very weird. I got everything from the remote view in DW, and it is what I uploaded, however it is not what is shown on the actual website. So, I feel like I am now uploading to the wrong directory, but that can't be the case because i never changed anything!

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Is there a way to view the full path in DreamWeaver?
I don't know, but that might be handy to rule out that option.

Etana

Etana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The directory is simply / and I used that for both DW and Filezilla. I don't know how else to show the full path though.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Dreamweaver and FileZilla may have a different view at /

Can you see the index page in both of them?
If so check and compare the file properties for "last modified"

Etana

Etana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
wow. You led me to the correct answer! For some reason, the website directory for DW needed to be /www , which I was able to find out through filezilla, which saw all the correct files in both the / and the /www directories. I don't know what happened, because it was ALWAYS just /, until it stopped working...If you know why that happened, or anything I might need to know because of this please tell me.

Thanks for continuously trying to help me, metallica!:-D

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Just applying some logic and taking some stabs in the dark. That's all.
Glad we could help. :)