Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

slow computer

• Please log in to reply

fixerup

fixerup

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
hello first off i'll list my specs. asus m2n32 sli deluxe mobo, amd athlon x2 2.4ghz, 3gb patriot ddr2 800mhz ram, nvidia gts 250 gpu, wd caviar hd.

now for the problem over that past year my framerate in world of warcraft has droped significantly. i thought it might be my outdated video card a 7600gs so i bought a new card and the fps went up but not as much as i thought it would. i thought maybe my processor is to slow so i tried to overclock it first using asus ai overclock, the computer would not boot up, second over clocking it manually setting the multiplyer and such still nothing even with the smallest overclock. so im not sure if my mobo is taking a turn for the worse or if its my processor. any help would be appreciated

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets see what you have in your startup
Please click on
Start>>Run>>Type in msconfig>>>press enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

Lets see what you have in your startup services area
Please click on
Start>>Run>>Type in msconfig>>>press enter
Now click on Services
Click on Hide All Microsoft Services
Then uncheck everything and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a service problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

fixerup

fixerup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
well i tried the first one and my computer kept crashing blue screen windows has encountered an error. also when i boot up it stays on the mobo screen (press del to enter setup) for a long time like 30 seconds this is not normal never did that before.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok when it gives you the BSOD is it showing you a error message?
Also just for my information what is the make and model on the new video card? have you checked for a newer driver?

Edited by rshaffer61, 16 April 2009 - 06:57 PM.

fixerup

fixerup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
dont know what bsod is and i do believe my drivers are up to date and it will only let me over clock the cpu a lil bit if i have the ram set to 600 mhz instead of auto

also it is a nvidia gpu made by sparkle

Edited by fixerup, 16 April 2009 - 07:17 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
BSOD is Blue Screen Of Death

usually it will give you a error messag with a code will bring up the boot options.
Go down to where it says Disable reboot on Error2 or something like that.n and that
if it flashes to fast to read it you can reboot, go into boot options by tapping F8 on second black screen
That will bring up a text screen where one of the options is
Disable reboot on error or something similar.
Click on that one and the next time s BSOD happens it will stop and you can then write down the error and post it for us to research