Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive (second) causes computer to run slower

• Please log in to reply

sirmarksalot

sirmarksalot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Alrright, so I did all that stuff you said. But nothing seems to really have changed.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your problem is only happening when accessing the 2nd drive?
Have you run defrag on the 2nd drive?
Is the 2nd drive piggy backed to your main drive or is it on a IDE controller by itself?
Was the drive purchased new or used?
Did you setup the partition as Fat32 or NTFS?

sirmarksalot

sirmarksalot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Right, only the second drive. And it only happens when downloading or editting files. Most of the time it runs normally.
Yes, I did a defrag on the first and second this morning.
Sorry, not quite sure what you mean here by "piggy backed", it is not connected directly to the Master drive if that's what you mean. It is connected to the middle slot of the power strip. It is IDE.
The drive was purchased new, from TigerDirect.
I set up the partition a NTFS.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would say then the problem is that the drive is just slower then the OS drive and that is the reason for the lag. It doesn't sound like a hardware problem other then for the reasons I just stated. Software wise everything seems to be in order.
As I stated before with only 1 gb of memory and doing video editing you are putting alot of strain on that one gig. Upgrading to 2 gigs will help you

sirmarksalot

sirmarksalot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Okay, so you think that is the reason that it only lags when doing things like downloading is the RAM. Makes sense I guess, alright I think I'll try that. Thanks for all the help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Doubling the memory will help for sure. Fixing the issue all together is another issue.
You could upgrade CPU as that would make the biggest impact but the memory will help.

If you go Here and run their free scanner it can help you pick out the best memory for your system

sirmarksalot

sirmarksalot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yeah, I ran the free scanner and it said upgrading to 2GB would help. Alright, I think I'll do that. Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help. Please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

sirmarksalot

sirmarksalot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Sorry to revive a dead topic, but it appears upgrading to 2GB of RAM did not solve my problem. I'm afraid it may just be my computer or something.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download and install EVEREST
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.

PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Advertisements

sirmarksalot

sirmarksalot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
there ya go

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok I believe the problem is with the video card you have. It is an older card and seems it wasn't meant so much for the video editing you are doing. Since that is when the slowing is I believe we may be onto the root of the problem now.
If you watch a movie from the second drive does it slow down or only when editing?

sirmarksalot

sirmarksalot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
When watching a movie from the second drive it runs fine. Only when editting/downloading does it become choppy.

Random info: I recently got the game Empire: Total War, and the game is choppy all the time. I don't think the problem is the same, but who knows.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not sure what this means
"downloading does it become choppy."
Can you explain that? When you download from the internet and what are you downloading?

sirmarksalot

sirmarksalot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Oh oops, sorry about that wording. Yeah, just like if I were to download files from the internet or a USB to my second hard drive my computer will be choppy, but after they are done then it will be back to normal.