Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AOL 9.0 - Do i have to use their browser

• Please log in to reply

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is possible or not, or even if the thread title covers what i mean ;)

Basically, i hate the AOL browser as it eats up memory and it has all of the perirpherals with it (anti-spyware, etc) so I was wondering if there was a way round this by creating my own Network Connection? Or does anyone know how to improve the performance?

Is this possible, or will i have to put up with AOL until my contract finishes? ;)

Thanks in adavance everyone :tazz:

Edited by thedarkprince, 09 May 2005 - 04:03 PM.

Advertisements

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
thats a great question, in therory you would think that you might beable to use IE to gain access to the internet. AOL is your ISP providing access to the internet. Call them, they should beable to help you, or just try using the IE (internet explorer) icon and see what happens. go into internet options and set your homepage to something like yahoo.com

good luck!

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Yeah, thats basically what i do at the moment. As soon as AOL opens, it gets minimised and i use IE.

I was just wondering if there was anyway of uninstalling the software but still keep the broadband connection?

Cheers guys :tazz:

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
AOL broadband???????? Don't they just have software for "improving" the broadand? :tazz:

Anyways, for diaal-up, you can use the acess numbers and get in through any dialer. Bck when I had AOL, I used Mozilla Mail and Browser, with no problems. ;)

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I'm in the UK if that makes a difference :tazz:

Its a 512kbps connection.

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
You can Use AOL without the main program here's how:
1. Wait for all AOL applications to load on windows do not open anything.
2. Right click the blue AOL icon in the taskbar next to the clock.
3.Start AOL Dialler.
4.And then enter your username and password and click sign on.
and then you will be connected through AOL Broadband without the program and there is no charge for this it is totally free.
This only works for AOL 9.0 I think.

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
CJIS you're a star :tazz:

I've seen that option before but was never sure what it was for.

My reasoning was correct, when i'm online, other programs were slow to open. Not anymore! Most programs now just take a couple of seconds not like 20 to 30 seconds like previously.

Cheers.

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Yourwelcome anything else you need help with just give me a message or send me an e-mail ( check my details) and I will try and help.

Deven

Deven

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
i have comcast cable and my brother is the only who uses AOL, but i don't think we have "AOL Broadband", just the regular dialup AOL but when he connects to AOL, he connects via LAN (our router/modem), so should i suggest to him to upgrade to "AOL Broadband" and how much does it cost?

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
AOL Broadband is fast and good and you should reccomend him to AOL broadband
Silver:£17.99 a month
Gold:£24.99 a month
Platinum:£29.99 a month
AOL for Broadband USA: $24.95

Please when you write back say wether you are UK or USA Please.

Advertisements

Deven

Deven

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
I'm in USA, and is that $24.95 added on to our current bill?

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
I'm not really sure as I am in the UK but I think that they just update from LAN and make it broadband and you just pay the Price but not added on.

psychofreke

psychofreke

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I don't see why you're even using AOL. May I suggest perhaps that you try a local ISP. I'm sure you'd end up with better service, and better customer support!

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
according to a lot of web pages and a lot of people and even digital TV AOL is one of the best ISP's around and there customer services re very good and I have no problems at all may i ask what ISP you are using.

psychofreke

psychofreke

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

according to a lot of web pages and a lot of people and even digital TV AOL is one of the best ISP's around and there customer services re very good and I have no problems at all may i ask what ISP you are using.

View Post

Do you believe everything that's advertised? AOL is great if your a newbie on the net, but I've heard nothing but negative on what AOL does to your computer. Perhaps they've gotten better over the last several years. I'm using Bellsouth FastAccess DSL. I realize that Charter Pipeline is the best connection for my area (faster than T1), but I'm not paying for cable. When I moved into my apartment the cable was on, and still is. It didn't come with the apartment. I do use it every now and then, to watch the weather channel and the occasional movie. I just don't want them to find out and try to charge us some astronomical fee for it being on, when it wasn't our fault it was left on in the first place. Anyway, I'm getting too long winded.