Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mathematics

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Cold Titanium

I not the most interested in math so I admit I briefly skimmed the 2 pages of this topic. So, someone may have already suggested this.

Have you ever seen the movie "A Beautiful Mind"? Stars Russell Crowe who plays a schizophrenic math genius named John Nash based on a true story. Though it may be advanced for you now, Nash uses math in ways in which I really can't describe. Here is a quote I found in a brief description of him on nobelprize.org ... John F. Nash Jr.

During this period of time I managed to solve a classical unsolved problem relating to differential geometry which was also of some interest in relation to the geometric questions arising in general relativity. This was the problem to prove the isometric embeddability of abstract Riemannian manifolds in flat (or "Euclidean") spaces. But this problem, although classical, was not much talked about as an outstanding problem. It was not like, for example, the 4-color conjecture.

I remember something from the movie or in a behind the scenes type film that his work has changed how the economics of the world are viewed/done, and other things I cannot remember. Sorry if I'm so vague. Research his work and there is probably enough there for you to spend a life time attempting understanding. He won the Nobel Prize and all that stuff. The movie won best picture at the Academy Awards in like 2001 or so.

That's my two cents!

Advertisements

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
I seriously doubt that ANYONE here (including me) can understand Riemann manifolds!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
A manifold is an important part of an engine, is that what you're referring to, Fredil? :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
:)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
See? I love maths. :)

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
http://en.wikipedia....annian_manifold

Come on children :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Ummm, I needed a dictionary before I could move onto the second sentence, so I quit. :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
OH OH OH!!! *Ferrari Raises His Hand*

Billiards. Lots of Math involved with that. That is an excellent example of math in everyday life. Well, if you shoot pool it would be "everyday life" :) Gosh, I wish I could draw a picture for you to show what I mean!

Edit: found this real quick when I google, "how to two rail kick billiards". Take a look.

http://www.jimloy.co...liard/kick3.htm
http://www.easypoolt.../article72.html
http://www.easypoolt.../article94.html

It can get way more complicated than this, but some decent examples here.

Edited by Ferrari, 30 June 2009 - 10:32 PM.

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
A good way to learn the basics of mathematics is to start using your own money. Money will certainly teach you the basics...

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
:) :)

Advertisements

screen317

screen317

Malware Removal Expert

• Expert
  • 17 posts

I think this is why Americans are behind on math. They know it, but they don't know it.

Agreed. Knowing and Understanding are two completely different things. I can think of another example, where teachers tell us derivative rules (product rule, quotient rule, ect.) but often won't explain where they came from simply because it's something we are not expected to know (at least for my school board). I think that if teachers took the extra 10 minutes to explain where things come from, people would better understand concepts and be able to apply them more freely.

Great point. My Calculus professor derived every single property we used throughout the duration of the class, and I learned far more because of it. I too try to think of applications of ideas, as opposed to merely "regurgitating them on an exam."

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Knowing the math behind all the properties does help immensely. It definitely helps with remembering things, and if you forget them you can easily just derive them again. That's the kind of thing that separates a great teacher from a good teacher.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Posted Image

Edited by Cold Titanium, 03 August 2009 - 06:04 PM.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
*Fredil facepalm

What about the x^2?

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts