Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My System Powers Off

• Please log in to reply

monetary

monetary

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

My system started just powering down today. It comes back up but only stays from 10 to 20 minutes at a time. Can anyone help??

Thanks so much!

I'm running Windows XP Professional SP3

My hardware is:

EVGA Motherboard
nForce 680i SLI 775 A1 Version

Nvidia Video Card 7900GS
G77900SN 1F26S+BTS8ACA

Power Supply - OCZ Stealth Stream 600 Watt

RAM - 4 GB
OCZTECH PC2 6400
1GB Dual CH
Platium Revision 2
4-4-4-15

I have done the following:

Cleared CMOS
Removed the RAM, turned power on, replaced the RAM
Restored my system to March 17, 2009
FixMBR

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Have you cleaned out the case and checked to be sure that all of the fans are running (particularly the fans that cool the power supply, the CPU, and the graphics card?). Be sure to unplug the computer from the wall before opening it, and blow it out with canned air (don't use a vacuum cleaner or a powerful air compressor to blow it out as they can cause damage).

Beyond that, check the Event Viewer for errors around the time of the shutdown. Go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Check for errors in the System and Application log files.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello monetary

i think usasma is on the right track here , however i though i might put my 2 cents in :)

Just to add to " usasma's " post , Checking event viewer , good suggestion.. Just a query for you all ( would it be worth checking minidumps ??? , would a log be created although it has no time to create the log ? )

And.. to add on the Heating note's

Might be worth wild downloading speedfan ( Play a game that puts a lot of load on the RAM, Make the computer work :) )

speedfan can be found @ http://www.almico.com/speedfan437.exe ( Direct Link )

When you are playing a " Heavy graphical game " or something like that monitor the temps

Post back the temps in your next reply, thank you

Best of luck !
&
Happy computing

Anthony19

Edited by Anthony19, 14 April 2009 - 06:53 AM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Both Anthony and usasma are troubleshooting this problem correctly. Heat is the main cause of problems such as yours. When the computer powers down, is there a quick blue screen you see before the signal to the monitor is lost? Download Speedfan as told above, and check your temps. You can also download Everest from my sig, and check its reading of the sensors in your system.

1. Open up Everest
2. Click on "Report" and then "Report Wizard"
3. Click on next, and then "Custom Selection"
4. Under computer check "sensors" | Uncheck everything else
5. Choose Plain Text
6. Everest will make a report and you should post everything in that report above the "Debug - PCI"

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Good point edge2022 Everest's reading's should be very close/the same as speedfan's detected temps , so either will be sufficient ( personal choice i guess.. )

In that case , Everest by far wins that one :)

Thank you for your input edge2022 ( i use Everest a lot , did not give it a thought lol )

Anthony19

PS: Just checked my temp's on speedfan lol ( temp is in degree Celsius )

CPU is reading -128 , Any idea what is going on there anyone ?

However , in everest i am getting 34 ( much better :) )

Glitch in the software ?

This is an older computer, i have been using 3 different computers , just though i would check this one out...

PSS: monetary , i advise you to use everest also ( just after seeing these results , BUT could be my older computer not being fully supported by the software )

Best of luck !

Edited by Anthony19, 16 April 2009 - 02:24 AM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
CPU is reading -128 ~ TOO HIGH
getting 34 ~ TOO LOW (how is it that low?)

http://www.computerh...es/ch000687.htm
Read that for recommended temps for different cpus.

There has to be something wrong with your sensor. 128C is very high, and 34C needs very powerful fans, or liquid cooling (I think; I'm not that knowledgeable on computer building) Or there is a glitch in the software.

Note: It's possible that with some computer configurations that the thermal sensors may not be positioned in an optimal location, causing the temperature to be reported cooler or hotter than it actually is. If your temperature is close to exceeding the maximum temperature or you are experiencing the above issues, you may want to continue reading the below recommendations for getting your computer cooler.

How will I know if my processor is running too hot?

If a processor gets too hot you will notice one or more of the below situations. Often these issues will be encountered when running programs or especially when playing an advanced game.

Computer runs much slower - Additional causes to this issue can be found on document CH000179.

Computer restarts - Additional causes to this issue can also be found on document CH000605.

Computer turns off - Additional causes to this issue can also be found on document CH000689.

Continuing to use a computer that has a processor that is exceeding its temperature will reduce the life expectancy of the processor.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I know its not 128 lol , it would be on fire :)

it is reading

-128 ( Freezing )

I am thinking software glitch

Thank you for your input though , much appreciated !

Now Back to monetary issue :)

Have you cleaned the internals inside the case ( Can of compressed air is used for this ) , and checked the temps ?

please post back temps in next reply

Best of luck !
&
Happy computing

Anthony19

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you have to select the right chipset when using speedfan... if I remember right or you can/will get some wild readings...it seen my WD RAPTORS running at 160 C.. :) they of course were not ...anyway use everest home and click on sensors and get a screenshot and post it so we can check your temps and voltage...

Edited by happyrock, 17 April 2009 - 07:59 AM.