Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newbie question: Upgrade XP machine or buy new one?

• Please log in to reply

mequestion

mequestion

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Just looking for opinions. I have 2 machines, 1 Vista, one XP.
The Vista is of course more modern and powerful, but is bogged down to the max with BS, IMO
(runs at like 30-50%% cpu and memory usage just sitting there with no extra programs running)
This Vista machine has crashed and gets borked all the time, causing untold frustration!
The XP machine is much more reliable, but only has 2GB of ram, (along with a pretty fast cpu, 2.93 GHz)

Any way to hack or modify that XP to make it accept more RAM? Or else to get this crazy Vista machine to use less resources at idle?
Short of that, is there any easy way to buy a more modern & powerful machine that does not come with Vista?
(because I have been looking and can't find one)

I make a lot of videos, just amateur stuff, but neither unit really makes the grade for that application.

I don't mind buying a new unit, or spending $$$ to upgrade, but I really don't even know what I am looking for, or whatever feasible options for upgrading the ones I have already are.

Can I get some expert opinions/advice please?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can custom build your own system and use the hard drive you have now as the main drive.
Is the XP system a name brand system?
XP home will only recognize 3 gigs of memory 4 on a good day
You would need to run a 64 bit version of it to see more and that means going to XPPro 64 bit version
If none of this seems like what you want to do then the best option is to completely build a new system from the ground up and use Vista 64 bit
Seeing that you do videos then I would suggest 4 gigs of memory at the least. A 1gb video card
These two alone will help allot
From there the cpu there are several options and newer that are faster then what you have stated.
What kind of budget are you thinking of? This will help us find and suggest items for you.