Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

stop: c0000221 {bad image checksum}

• Please log in to reply

juanitalee35

juanitalee35

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Im not sure what the drive letter is for the cd rom drive. But yes, I changed it to the D drive in the command, but you had expand, not extract...did you mean to put extract?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Expand is the internal command to extract and copy
How many drives are in your system counting all hd's and the cdrom drive?
Each drive will be a letter and normally cdrom will take the last open drive letter
For example if you have only one hd and a cdrom then hd would be C and cdrom would be D
If the hd is partitioned into two spaces then cdrom would move to E

juanitalee35

juanitalee35

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
i tried accessing an E: drive, not a valid drive so i am assuming that the cd rom drive is D: but the commands you have provided thus far do not work
Any other suggestions?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is a clean install of Xp correct?
there is nothing else on the drive I suspect since you formatted and installed XP clean?
If this is the case then the best thing to do is to format and install XP again. If all you have done is format and installed then it's possible you may have just a corrupted install.

juanitalee35

juanitalee35

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
If a clean install is what you call it then yes....This is what I have done....a friend burned me a copy of the XP install, it kept getting stuck. I stopped it and restarted it. I left it running over night and when I got up this morning it gave me that error about the comdlg32.dll

What else can I do? I don't have another copy of this xp cd?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Wait a burn copy? That is the problem. I thought we were working with a genuine copy of XP.
Do you have a valid reg number that came with your system? You can use a XP disc from a friend as long as it is the same as the original XP that was installed on the system. The only thing is the reg number that should be on the side of your system

juanitalee35

juanitalee35

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
No I don't have the original copy of XP, I work at home and this computer was given to me from work in order to do my job. The friend that made this copy for me, has used it on several computers and had success. Where else can I get a copy of the XP cd?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Was the computer originally loaded with XP?
If so then what I stated before you can do. Just borrow an original XP disk Home or Pro depending on what you have. Do you have the original Reg key for your computer for XP?

juanitalee35

juanitalee35

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I believe it was originally loaded with XP, however, I don't have the original reg keys

Somehow, I just got to the setup screen again and chose to format Partion 1. I will see how that goes since it looks different that what I was doing yesterday

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Without the original key code then you will need to purchase XP so you can obtain a legal reg key.
I'm sorry but at this point I cannot assist due to the Terms OF Use that you agreed on when you registered with the site.
I am not allowed to assist in the illegal install of software.

Advertisements

juanitalee35

juanitalee35

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
okay well thanks for your assistance up to this point. Have a great day!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you need any further assistance even after you do new install this topic will remain open for a couple of days. Just post and I will watch and help if I can

juanitalee35

juanitalee35

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I give up! I'm sending it to the computer shop! Thanks though, you have been a big help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did the new install not fix the problem? As I said before it could be ide controller, ribbon or hd.
You can download the manufactures HD utility in my signatur below and run that. You will need to know the maker of your hd. You can burn it to a cd from the system you are on now and take it to other system bootup with the cd in
Go into bios and change the boot sequence to boot to cdrom first
Let the diagnostics run. That will tell us alot

juanitalee35

juanitalee35

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I don't even know at this point what the maker of the HD is. I can't even remember how to get back to the c: prompt
I'm lost