Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windown logs of right after log in

• Please log in to reply

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I am also sure it is a userinit corruption.
I think I have heard that AVG removing some virus caused this problem.

The repair steps should fix it though.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you want to try just to fix the userinit file here are the instructions

Put your winxp cd in cd drive and reboot your system
When promted to push any key to boot to cdrom then click a key
Click R to enter recovery console

Type the following

expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32
click enter

Once it says 1 file copied
Then type exit and click enter
System will reboot
Make sure to remove winxp pro cd before it boots up and let it boot fully
Windows should start normally

If not post with result

iLoveLucy

iLoveLucy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I can't remember what virus it was but it was some trojan horse. Right now I'm trying to get to the recovery console but I get to the menu where it asks you to select a partition and it doesn't have the option to press 'r', so am I supposed to select a partition and then press 'r'?

Alternatively, if I access my files (using a boot CD) and manually copy the userinit.exe form the XP cd to replace the old one, will that work?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm thinking you are at the screen that says something to the affect of
Select the partition you wish to repair?
If that is so then highlight the partition or type in the number that corresponds with your C drive that has windows installed on it

By following these steps you are replacing the userinit.exe file
The expand command is just that.

iLoveLucy

iLoveLucy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I was surprised to find that there was no userinit.ex_ in my System32 folder so I copied one from the XP CD, however I still have the same problem. :)

When I boot from the windows CD, it tells me to select a partition to install windows or delet it, which is not what I want so that's why I didn't do anything. Again, the menu doesn't mention the 'r' key or repairing anything.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go Here to get Recovery Console

Download Windows Recovery Console
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. You may be prompted to choose which installation to repair. there should be only one, so click the corresponding number
When the screen goes black with a blinking cursor
Type the following

expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32
click enter

Once it says 1 file copied
Then type exit and click enter
System will reboot
Make sure to remove winxp pro cd before it boots up and let it boot fully
Windows should start normally

If not post with result

Edited by rshaffer61, 19 April 2009 - 09:17 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello iLoveLucy...

If rshaffer61's suggestion doesn't work, it may be due to the userinit file not fully expanding.

If you are currently on an XP machine, try the following. You can use the burning program and RC.iso file you've already downloaded for this.

Download RC.ISO and save it somewhere you can find it.

Download MagicISO and install it.

Start MagicISO. When it asks you to register, just close that window...the program should remain open. Click on "File" and then on "Open"...navigate to the RC.ISO file you downloaded, select it, and click "Open".

In the upper right pane, double click on the i386 folder to expand it. In the toolbar menu, click on the "Add File" icon (just under "Total Size: 7M") and navigate to C:\Windows\System32...locate and select userinit.exe...click "Open".

Click "File" on the toolbar and choose "Save As". Name the file RCplus and save it somewhere you can find it.

Put a blank CD-R disk in your CD burner and close the tray...when the AutoPlay window opens, close it.

Click "Tools" on the toolbar and choose "Burn CD/DVD with ISO". In the CD/DVD Image file area, click the little folder, navigate to the newly created RCplus.iso image file, and click "Open". In the CD/DVD Writing Speed drop-down menu, choose the top 8X setting. Format should have "Mode 1" selected...if not, select it. Click on the "Burn It!" button.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Once this disk is burned, put it in the machine you're working on and restart. Boot to the CD just as you did with the OEM disk and enter Recovery Console just as you did before.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, Type the following commands, pressing Enter after each one. Again, note the spaces.

d:
cd i386
copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32
exit

After inputting the third command, you should receive the message "1 file copied"...which will indicate that the operation succeeded.

See if Windows will let you log on.

wannabe1

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Wannabe1. Your advice is always welcomed and sound. :)

iLoveLucy

iLoveLucy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
OK guys! Thanks very much for you help, I followed your steps and now I have my computer back! :)

Edited by iLoveLucy, 01 May 2009 - 10:47 AM.