Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP unable to load, cannot access safe mode!

• Please log in to reply

colinsmithjr

colinsmithjr

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My XP SP2 machine boots and shows Windows XP to be loading but as the logon screen is about to appear a box appears titled: "winlogon.exe - Entry Point Not Found" followed by "The procedure entry point AssocGetPerceivedType could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll"

The only option is to click OK.

The same error is shown again, but titled: "lsass.exe"

Again the only option available is an OK button.

A 3rd box appears titled: "User Interface Failure" and contains the following: "The Logon User Interface DLL msgina.dll failed to load. Contact your sys admin etc etc"

The only option is a button labelled restart, which leads me back to the start, ad infinitum...

I do not have an XP "install/boot" CD, and the machine cannot be booted in safe mode, the same errors appear, and the last known configuration does not work either.

Any suggestions on accessing the machine to replace the necessary corrupt files, and which files need replacing, and the best place to find these files.

Any help would be much appreciated.

C

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello welcome to GeeksToGo, We will be happy to help you.

We will need some more information

If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:

The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I think your best bet will be to repair windows. Since you don't have the CD I don't know how you're going to go along with that but yeah. Also do you have the recovery console? I think that might be some help.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
a repair is in order...go here for the how to guide...
you will have to borrow a xp cd of the same flavor thats installed on your computer...IE if your using xp pro then you need a xp pro cd...ask your friends or coworkers...
NOTE...it can not be a recovery cd