Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP won't boot

• Please log in to reply

pgc39

pgc39

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 2400 that is about 5 years old. I recently brought it to Best Buy Geek Squad and had all the meaningful files backed up from the hdd, and now want to return to original out of the box status, (format, re-install, etc.)

I stumbled upon wannabe1 and quin8484's thread from July 07, where he was having the exact same problems on almost the exact same machine.

I was just getting to a black screen, with a blinking cursor.

I used the Dell Recovery Disk to format and re-install, and actually got back to the original setup of XP.

I was actually kind of lost at that point, and my screen resolution was very low (600 x 480, i think)

So I ran a HELP search on XP, and that was one of the FAQ's, (My screen resolution won't go any higher than, etc)

I tried to follow the steps to increase the resolution by updating drivers, but they were grayed out and I couldn't do anything w/ them.

So I fidgeted around and somehow got the resolution up to 1080 x something, but then it was very grainy. All the icon's and Fonts were no longer giant, but the clarity of the screen was bad. I rebooted the computer, set the boot order back to HDD from CD, and now all I can get to is the Dell Screen, (press f2 or f12), then the Windows XP screen w/ the green status bar, and then it just goes to BLACK.

I'm completely stuck.

Please help me! Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You should have a CD with all the drivers on it. If not, you can get all the drivers you need by going to Dell's website and entering your Service Tag.

pgc39

pgc39

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I can't get to the desktop.

The monitor goes through the XP Home load, and then my monitor comes up saying "auto-adjust", and then flickers a couple different resolutions, and then the screen just goes black.

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Hm I guess its a problem with one of the drivers. Try getting on Safe Mode by hitting F8 before windows loads. If you get on it let us know.

pgc39

pgc39

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks all,

I am all set.

Re Installed XP, and back to normal.

Take care,

pgc39

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY