Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Usage 100% and Internet connects only sometimes in IE? [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I don't see an Error it just doesn't go to home page it doesn't load my homepage and when I try to browse to different sites it won't load either. I have to close it out a few times till it connect or sometimes it would connect on first attempt. It's just a tricky situation

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
What I would like you to try now is to set up Open DNS instructions are on the page. Let me know if that gives an improvement

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Well my firefox connects every time so I am not sure why OpenDNS would change anything. Also, my C: drive is constantly coming up dirty I am not sure of the reason so the Chkdsk comes up every time I turn my computer back on or when it loads back up from a restart. I thought it maybe was Google Gears so I uninstalled that again and cleared it from registry but I will see when I boot that CPU up, which is currently doing the chkdsk, how it works. However, do you believe OpenDNS would be needed if I use firefox and that connects everytime.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
In that case no - I believe you are still suffering from the after affects of Virut and only a full re-format and install would ensure that your system works perfectly. If you have access to a cd you could try a repair install

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Well I still only have that ISO image CD that you told me to burn. However, a fill reformat would I lose all my documents and such things as that?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
You can back up documents, music, videos and data but no executable files

Well I still only have that ISO image CD that you told me to burn

Which one is that - also what is the make and model of your computer as it may have a restore partition

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I am not sure what ISO image CD I have I think its the one I need but I have a Compaq Presario SR1910NX.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
You may well have a recovery partition, but first backup your data

Next time you turn on the computer press the F1 key until 'Entering Setup' appears and follow the prompts. Of course you should make a backup of anything important before you do any of the above.

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
well I have a bunch of stuff on my computer so I am not sure how I can backup all of that is that just like a recovery point or something or would I need a disk? Also, what would I lose if I do all of that? Will all my downloaded programs no longer be here?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It will give you a fresh out of the box system - you will need to install all your programmes again
Back up the stuff you want to keep onto a cd or USB drive

Advertisements

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Aww that's something I will have to reconsider because if I am only dealing with the IE problem and I can deal with that for now I will just see if the problem fades because I am not sure I can deal with starting from scratch. I know it sounds amateurish since my computer is seeing symptoms but I am just not at the point to do that at the moment. Also, I would need some HUGE memory sticks and CDs to backup all I have on this computer now

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Just be aware that IE will become unusable and some of your system files may crash - so prepare for the eventuality

Look at this thread I have running now http://www.geekstogo...-h-t237701.html

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Yes, I check it out. However, I have used the Recovery process on this computer once before where it did the re installation of Windows not to long ago (maybe like 1 year from this month) and I am sure Norton was reinstalled with that but I uninstalled that after having McAfee free from Scottrade so I have went through the Recovery process with my computer where it actually makes you enter all new information like setting up speakers and etc. I understand where you are coming from and telling me about the Virus but the computer is only having problems with IE in which I believe when I tried to uninstall something with YourUninstaller and then clean my regisrty with CCleaner messed up my registry in which has my computer doing this because that is when the problem begun. I would have no problem recovering again but I have too much to backup and my computer is usable at the moment so I will ride it out and eventually start to get my important files onto my other desktop computer and make that my official computer even though that has Vista and I hate Vista.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Vista is a lot more secure than XP and once you get used to it you may actually get to like it :)

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I have another computer with Vista I have used it for quite a while trust me I don't like it. I hate VISTA. Totally