Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Usage 100% and Internet connects only sometimes in IE? [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you attach the entire report please

Advertisements

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
here it goes

Attached Files

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Nothing really relevant there so lets look deeper

Download avz4.zip from here
  • Unzip it to your desktop to a folder named avz4
  • Double click on AVZ.exe to run it.
  • Run an update by clicking the Auto Update button on the Right of the Log window: Posted Image
  • Click Start to begin the update
Note: If you recieve an error message, chose a different source, then click Start again

• Start AVZ.
  • Choose from the menu "File" => "Standard scripts " and mark the "Healing/Quarantine and Advanced System Investigation" check box.
  • Click on the “Execute selected scripts”.
  • Automatic scanning, healing and system check will be executed.
  • A logfile (avz_sysinfo.htm) will be created and saved in the LOG folder in the AVZ directory as virusinfo_syscure.zip.
  • It is necessary to reboot your machine, because AVZ might disturb some program operations (like antiviruses and firewall) during the system scan.
  • All applications will work properly after the system restart.

When restarted

• Start AVZ.
  • Choose from the menu "File" => "Standard scripts " and mark the “Advanced System Investigation" check box.
  • Click on the "Execute selected scripts".
  • A system check will be automatically performed, and the created logfile (avz_sysinfo.htm) will be saved in the LOG folder in the AVZ directory as virusinfo_syscheck.zip.

Attach both zip files to your next post

To attach a file, do the following:
  • Click Add Reply
  • Under the reply panel is the Attachments Panel
  • Browse for the attachment file you want to upload, then click the green Upload button
  • Once it has uploaded, click the Manage Current Attachments drop down box
  • Click on Posted Image to insert the attachment into your post

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Attached File  virusinfo_syscheck.zip   18.12KB   236 downloadsAttached File  virusinfo_syscure.zip   20.69KB   219 downloads

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Nothing showing there either

What are the problems you are experiencing

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
well AVG is popping up with threats. I am starting to believe that AVG is showing false positives. My IE still only connects sometimes but that is something that may not be a problem at all. However, with my Microsoft Office AVG shows a threat and after the 2nd reformat I haven't used it based on AVG warning I quarantine it so I never used it to see when I use Excel if 100% cpu usage problem comes again like after 1st reformat. But that is the problems.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Lets replace your AV with another free version to see if it still occurs. This is the AV I use

Download this AV to your desktop and disconnect from the internet.
Uninstall AVG
Load Avast

Please go HERE and download avast! 4 Home Edition to your desktop. Locate the file that you just downloaded, double-click on the file to launch the installation of avast!

Click Next on the avast! Setup window and on the next window with the ReadMe File.
Now you will see the Legal Agreement, just click I agree, and then click Next to continue.

You will be prompted with Configuration window, make sure that you choose Typical configuration and then click Next. Click Next to the windows that will follow, when the installation will finish, you will be given an option to schedule a boot time scan, select No

Now you have to restart your machine, select Restart and then click Finish.

After you restart you will get a message about avast! it will give you the general "Hello and Thank you for choosing our Product." Also after you restart you will notice 2 new icons in the bottom right corner of the screen.

VERY IMPORTANT - after restarting, right click on the @ in the taskbar and select Updating, then highlight and click Program.

You will get popup after its done updating. If avast! had to download anything for your computer you may get a message asking you to restart.

After you have updated avast! right click the small icon a in task bar and click Start Avast! AntiVirus

Click Program Registration and you will be taken to their website. Fill out the form and then check you e-mail. Once you get an e-mail from them (usually about 1 minute after submitting the form) copy and paste the serial they provided into the highlighted box. Then click ok.

After this, you will need to Schedule Boot-Time Scan with avast! Click on the little button placed up in the left corner, and select Schedule Boot-Time Scan. Read also this tutorial HERE it may make it easier to you to follow the steps.

Next, choose
  • Scan all local disks
  • scan archive files
  • click on Schedule
On the next dialog Operating system restart needed select Yes
Now avast! will restart your computer and start to scan before Windows fully loads.

IMPORTANT NOTE if your system has infections on it, avast! will give you dialog box with recommended actions, and options, please make sure if this happens, to click the Move to Chest button, and not to delete any reported files.

The boot log will be located here C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\report\AswBoot.txt

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
would this provide what my AVG provide like Identity Protection and a Firewall?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Details here but it does not include a firewall

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
so what would I do about Firewall?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Comodo is quite good but select install as a standalone firewall

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
well my computer should have a Firewall already or do I need something special like comodo?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The firewall built into XP is not too good

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I am not too good and doing these types of things that's why I stayed with AVG but I will get around to doing all of this when I get back from Doctor's office. Thanks alot

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
My AVG un installation to fails and it tells me to restart to try again and it continues to fail. Here is the error it gives me.

Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error: Action failed for registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows: creating registry key....
Error 0x80070005