Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading Memory

• Please log in to reply

jcuaresma06

jcuaresma06

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I currently have an HP Pavilion DV9000 CTO notebook, and want to upgrade my memory from 1 GB (2x512MB) to 3 GB. My question is, can i add 1 GB of ram to one slot, and then add 2 GB of ram to the other slot to obtain my 3 gigs? Is it safe to do so or will complications occur within my notebook?

edit: I run a 32-bit Vista OS

edit: Crucial.com states the max i can hold is 2 GB of ram. I've seen posters in other forums state that since i have a 32 bit OS, i can have memory recognition at up to 3GBs. I'm totally clueless now.

Edited by jcuaresma06, 14 April 2009 - 01:57 PM.

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi jcuaresma06, welcome to Geeks To Go!

When you go to Crucial's memory Advisor Tool, it's basically checks how much RAM your motherboard can support. The motherboard is more important than the OS.

If your motherboard can support 2GB of RAM only then it doesn't matter what version of OS you have because you cannot install a higher amount of RAM than the motherboard can support. Installing more RAM than what the motherboard can support sometimes will lead to the computer not booting up so you don't even get to the OS.

Kamille

jcuaresma06

jcuaresma06

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi jcuaresma06, welcome to Geeks To Go!

When you go to Crucial's memory Advisor Tool, it's basically checks how much RAM your motherboard can support. The motherboard is more important than the OS.

If your motherboard can support 2GB of RAM only then it doesn't matter what version of OS you have because you cannot install a higher amount of RAM than the motherboard can support. Installing more RAM than what the motherboard can support sometimes will lead to the computer not booting up so you don't even get to the OS.

Kamille

Ah ok, i'll totally disregard upgrading to 3GB and just upgrade it to 2GB, hopefully it's a significantly noticeable change from 1GB?

Also, do you know if crucial.com sells quality RAM products?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Buy the memory from Crucial using their "look your motherboard up" drop-down lists on the front page, and it'll work or your money back.