Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Re-Starts Without Completing Certain Programs

• Please log in to reply

ThunderOcean

ThunderOcean

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
01 - I have a problem in that my PC simply re-starts when I run certain programs. I thought that it had been infected with some Malware however, this has been ruled out as unlikely by greyknight17 under http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=37&t=18681 in Malware Removal – Highjack Logs Go Here.

02 - I cannot run Ad-Aware or MicroWorld AntiVirus ToolKit or Panda Software ActiveScan or Trendmicro Housecall as my PC re-starts part way through without completing. I can run SpyBot.

03 - I have an HP CD-Writer 8200 Series External USB CD-RW Drive (which comes with Adaptec DirectCD 3.0 and HP MyCD 2.5). I have been trying to copy data to CD in case I have to restore my PC however, this keeps re-starting as well.

04 - I have run Windows Memory Diagnostic and it does not identify any problems. I ran the standard tests three times and the extended tests once.

05 – I would be very grateful if you would review this (and the original posting) with a view to helping me to resolve this. If you need any more information, please let me know and I will try to provide it.

ThunderOcean

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE

uninstall the above and see if it clears up

ThunderOcean

ThunderOcean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
01 - I have uninstalled C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE. Please confirm what it is/was.

02 - I have run Ad-Aware again and it still causes the PC to re-start without completing.

03 - I have not run MicroWorld AntiVirus ToolKit or Panda Software ActiveScan or SpyBot or Trendmicro Housecall again.

03 - I have not run HP CD-Writer 8200 Series External USB CD-RW Drive (which comes with Adaptec DirectCD 3.0 and HP MyCD 2.5) again.

ThunderOcean

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
The file KB891711.exe file is a Windows security update file protecting against a
"Vulnerability in cursor and icon format handling could allow remote code execution". The file usually runs as a background process. There have been problems reported with this update.

There have however been reports of fatal exception errors in systems running Windows 98, and in such a case Microsoft advises to either uninstall the patch (Add/Remove Programs) or prevent it from running at startup.

I have installed it on all my win 98 machines so far with no problems.

Edited by StarHawk, 10 May 2005 - 07:43 PM.

ThunderOcean

ThunderOcean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
01 - I have added a posting in Lavasoft Support (Ad-Aware) under http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=62&t=24741 in the hope that one or both of these Forums can help me.

ThunderOcean

ThunderOcean

ThunderOcean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
01 - I am not getting anywhere with the Lavasoft Support (Ad-Aware) posting and, as this affects other applications, I am not convinced that it is a Lavasoft Ad-Aware problem.

02 - Please review these details and let me know of any sugestions relating to the cause of this problem and/or the solution to this problem.

ThunderOCean

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

download the above, and post a report (it's long)

ThunderOcean

ThunderOcean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
01 - I have run Everest Home Edition 2.00.335 and I have attached the Report.

ThunderOcean

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hmmm.....

got a question, have you ever physically removed the memory sticks?

When did this problem start?

ThunderOcean

ThunderOcean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
01 – I have removed Memory Sticks as part of http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=37&t=18681 in Malware Removal – Highjack Logs Go Here.

02 - I was asked to run the Extended Test in Windows Memory Diagnostic and it found some errors in INVC, LRAND, Stride6 (Cache Enabled) , WINVC, WStride-6 and ERAND which it said were only in one of my two 128Mb Memory Sticks.

02 - I identified the damaged Memory Stick (by swapping it in and out) and I removed it. I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic again and it did not identify any problems with the remaining Memory Stick.

03 – The re-start problem began about 1 month ago after I installed Tiscali Broadband with its Sagem USB Modem. At the same time, I downloaded ZoneAlarm (Freeware Version) to provide me with a FireWall and I upgraded eTrust EZ AntiVirus, RealPlayer, MSN Messenger and WinAmp Once the problem occurred, I installed AVG AntiVirus, CWShredder, HijackThis, SpyBot - Search & Destroy and Trojan Defence Suite in an attempt to identify/resolve this matter.

ThunderOcean

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
your report shows that you have the memory in the second DIMM slot....while this is not always a critical error, it can at times create unusual issues.

Try moving it into dimm1

ThunderOcean

ThunderOcean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
01 - I moved the Memory Stick to the first slot.

02 - I ran Ad-Aware again and it still causes the PC to re-start without completing.

ThunderOcean