Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to determine bandwidth needs?

• Please log in to reply

LynnAisling

LynnAisling

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm looking for a program that will allow me to monitor the traffic on my T1 so I can see exactly how much bandwidth we are really using. Also how much is going out through my VPN tunnels. We have a ZyXel USG 300 in our corporate office and ZyXel USG 100's in each satellite office.

I'm thinking I can go through my ISP perhaps to get the bandwidth on the T1, but they can't help me to see how much bandwidth is going out through each tunnel.

Thanks a bunch! :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Put something like this on each computer that uses the T1 connection, then go round them at the end of the month and add up the monthly totals from each PC.
http://www.metal-mac...dex.php?page=10

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i don't know much about the router's you're using but MOST routers/firewalls that are capable of doing site to site and/or client to site VPNs have monitoring built in...or possibly monitoring software issued by the company...

we use PRTG Grapher to do our historical monitoring (most routers do real time but it's hard to get the logs out)...it uses SNMP to track ANYTHING you could possibly think of....anything that can work with SNMP will work as long as you can get the OID....MOST routers allow you to track the input/output of their interfaces through SNMP...i don't know that you'd be able to break this up to show how much traffic is on the VPN itself

not sure if it's compatible with your devices but we also use this to monitor our VPNs....it lets us set up email alerts that tell us when someone logs on and off of the VPN and i'm pretty sure it does traffic graphing as well (just started using it and it's at a different location than i am)