Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

free firewall and antivirus for windows server 2003

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Ok i just installed windows 2003 server. I tried to install avg because thats what I used on most of my systems, but it did not work on server 2k3. Does anyone know what I can use to protect my system.. That is.. a firewall and an anti-virus system (Freeware)

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Hello, mrq201!

Tallemu Online Armor Personal Firewall -- Highly rated

A-squared free Anti-Malware -- Anti-virus + Anti-Spyware=Anti-Malware

How do those work out for you?

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 14 April 2009 - 11:56 PM.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
I actually did some research and found the online amor firewall. I saw the a-squared free, but I didnt go with it, i went with rising anti-virus 2009. But I do love these forums. They help me out soo much.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Online Armor is very good. I recommend that for anyone! I also recommend Comodo, even though it would not help you in Windows server 2003.

Rising Antivirus looks good, and I think it will work with Server 2003, but get A-squared as a backup, because A-squared will help enhance your security level.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
yeah I had comodo when i had xp pro on one of my computers, but it was a little too much for me. I use zone alarm on my laptop (win pro) nothing as yet on one of my pcs (win 7) and online armor on my server (win 2k3). I may get zonealarm for win 7 because I am so familiar with it.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Please explain how Comodo was a little too much. I am interested in hearing your issue with it. :)

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Its only because i was used to the simplicity of zonealarm and I knew what everything meant etc. Then i was hit with a new interface etc. So call it laziness and an unwillingness to learn

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
I noticed in Comodo all the complicated options. Great interface, but very complicated as well.

• I wish Comodo had a friendly "Add an Exception" button.
  • Put ALL, not just some, of the advanced options in to its own section.
  • Password protect the Advanced options.
  • Ease the tension the firewall has on the Internet connection. The only problem I have ever had with Comodo was when it would block my Internet connection if I set it on Safe mode. I had to leave it on training mode so it would behave better.
  • Use a more enhanced Layered Service Provider. It utilizes too much of its own layer. Other Winsock components do not behave well with Comodo.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
If you want to learn more about Layered Service Provider, check it out at the Wikipedia.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
# Ease the tension the firewall has on the Internet connection. The only problem I have ever had with Comodo was when it would block my Internet connection if I set it on Safe mode. I had to leave it on training mode so it would behave better.

This point you made is soo true. It got to a point where it started to get on my nerves knowing which mode was the best to use, and whenever I tried to install new software, I would have to keep on clicking allow or whatever it was. Thats really the reason why I didnt like it.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Defense+ has a great line of technology behind it, possibly being a HIPS (host-based intrusion-prevention system) super product. Using HIPS technology, it does great at application based taming and threat blocking.

What is so great about HIPS?

If an anti-virus program gets a vulnerability, then HIPS takes over and alerts the user that suspicious activity is present on the system. HIPS does heuristic (fake and suspicion) scanning to detect harmful activity.

HIPS is currently one of the best used methods for Intrusion prevention!

Comodo integrated a new option that allows the user to whitelist anything that they do not want to be alerted about.