Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot install XP updates

• Please log in to reply

Wol

Wol

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I tried to download and install eight XP Home SP3 updates today: KB959426 and KB956572 came up with the "failed" icon. I tried several times, each time with the same result. The other updates went in OK.

Is there any reason for this? Anyone else had the same problem with these updates?

XP Home SP3, Pentium 3.2GHz, 2.5GB RAM.

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello Wol

Have you tried re-booting between updates ???

If so

Have you checked the update history to see why it is not installing ?

Anthony19

reason for Edit : More Information added

PS: Also try to install manually..

Security Update for Windows XP (KB959426) can be found @ http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Security Update for Windows XP (KB956572) can be found @ http://www.microsoft...ac-9876a13c2c03

Best of luck !

Edited by Anthony19, 15 April 2009 - 04:15 AM.

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Yes, I've done all that - several times!

The update history doesn't show why something will not work, only that it hasn't.

I also went to one of the "further help" M$ pages and ran the small utility there which purports to aid in such cases - no effect, those two updates still won't install either manuallly or otherwise. I'm baffled!

Edited by Wol, 15 April 2009 - 02:55 PM.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello Wol

Np , a different approach is needed...

Lets try dial-a-fix , see if we are able to fix any known issue's

simply download dial-a-fix from http://download.cnet....html?tag=mncol to your desktop , or a known location ( where you can find it :) )

Open the program , and check the box next to " fix windows update " ( Others will be automatically selected... )

Then click on the " GO " button

Best of luck !

Antony19

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Thanks for taking the time to help.

I did what you say - but the program ran for 2 hrs and showed no sign of finishing - just said "Stopping CRPTSVC" with the progress bar so I stopped it. The two updates still wouldn't install!

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello Wol

Lets give this one more go, Re-boot the computer and try again

If no success...

Lets check the events viewer for any recent DAF events

Go to: Start > Run > Type " eventvwr.msc " , Without Quotation marks ( " ) and Hit enter

Select the " Application Tab " and post back any errors you find ( Recently occoured ) that relates to the DAF application

Best of luck !

Anthony19

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
What is the "DAF" application?

The list of events in the application tab goes back to the 2ndApril, and has 327 events: information, errors and warnings.

Source gupdate1c9a3bbf70a3d28 may be the "Information" of the non-update? This appears several times, corresponding roughly with the times I have tried to do the two updates. I guess the string is a hex reference to some other message but I am not enough into windoze to know!

(I didn't try rebooting because I have already done this half a dozen times and the two updates wouldn't install after any of them).

I had a look at the "System" tab and there are several "Error" types against "Windows update agent" sources, with property descriptors:

>>Installation failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8007054f: Security update for Windows XP (KB959426)<<

Googling 0x8007054f I find many offers of reg scans and fixes but I am always leery of running unrecommended "fixes" from the internet for obvious reasons. I do run CrapCleaner several times a day which in the past has apparently kept my comfuser reasonably clean!

(Edit: PS I suddenly wondered if my antivirus (VIPRE) is blocking these two updates so I enabled its "suspicious notification" facility - but still no updates or VIPRE warnings....)

Edited by Wol, 16 April 2009 - 07:34 PM.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello Wol

DAF = Dial-a-fix

Iam glad you do not run un-recommend programs

By the way , have you tried installing manually as instructed in the first post... ?

What was the outcome ?

and also about this ...

CrapCleaner , Does this have a feature to clean the registry, IF SO have you run it ? ( i would NOT recommended to run ANY registry cleaner , from what i have seen from them... they are a waste of time...( Most cases causing more trouble ))

If you have run any registry cleaner's we may be running into more trouble there.. ( Have you created back-ups ) , or is system restore switched on ?

Do you run a custom firewall ??? ( although it would be blocking microsoft altogether ) , try disabling it , Be sure to turn on windows firewall though , and then turn it off after attempting the update and re-enable your custom firewall

Best of luck !

Anthony19

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
>> Hello Wol

DAF = Dial-a-fix

Iam glad you do not run un-recommend programs

By the way , have you tried installing manually as instructed in the first post... ? <<

What was the outcome ?

Yes, several times - exactly the same failure messages.

>> and also about this ...

CrapCleaner , Does this have a feature to clean the registry, IF SO have you run it ? ( i would NOT recommended to run ANY registry cleaner , from what i have seen from them... they are a waste of time...( Most cases causing more trouble )) <<

CrapCleaner (Now more politely called CCleaner <g> ) is a long-standing freebie which I've used for years and never had trouble with. It has several functions including a reg cleaner, which if run several times does a good job of tidying up all those extraneous bits of rubbish that infest windoze.

>> If you have run any registry cleaner's we may be running into more trouble there.. ( Have you created back-ups ) , or is system restore switched on ? <<

Incidentally, just how do you backup and restore the registry? The help files give no indication beyond saying use Backup - which ain't much help!

>> Do you run a custom firewall ??? ( although it would be blocking microsoft altogether ) , try disabling it , Be sure to turn on windows firewall though , and then turn it off after attempting the update and re-enable your custom firewall <<

I use Zonealarm free firewall - although I do have a subscription to Zonealarm security suite I am at present using VIPRE antimalware. I have tried switching off the active antivirus but with no effect.

>> Best of luck ! <<

Many thanks!

Anthony19

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try going here and get the ones that fail...they each have their own installer just in case it a installer issue...

Edited by happyrock, 17 April 2009 - 08:16 AM.

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

try going here and get the ones that fail...they each have their own installer just in case it a installer issue...

Unfortunately, the two patches are not yet on that site - I will keep an eye on it though.