Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My dad's PC is slow, could someone take a look at the log?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kasperbs

kasperbs

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
My dad has been complaining that his PC is running slow. I should say that it has been running the same Windows XP in the last 3 years, a long time considering I reinstall OS every 3 months or so ;-). He has a ton of software installed, so I just wanted to ask someone to take a look at the HijackThis log to see if there is anytihng in there that is causing it to run slow, or if it's simply fed up with software?

I also ran Malwarebytes' antimalware, but the log was clean.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello kasperbs & Welcome to GTG!

I 'm Sorry but This is not the correct forum for malware removal , don't worry though...

If you have not completed the pre-preliminary steps please go to http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html

Save all logs and results

Then go to http://www.geekstogo...emoval-f37.html

Start a new topic and include as much information as possible , and all relevant logs and results

Thank you for your co-operation

Best of luck
&
Happy computing

Anthony19

PS: Dont forget to give a link to this topic , incase it needs to be closed off , if you have the all clear from malware staff and still have problems simply have them re-open this thread

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
His log was clean, I don't think its malware related myself

When did you install Norman anti-virus ?

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Thank you Rorschach112 for clearing that up...

As i did not go over the log completely i am unsure of what is on the computer lol ( Read many of other posts too lol )

But yeah i only skimped over , as i am not trained in the malware removal department i did not worry about a through check over...

Now maybe we start will all the computer specs :)

and norton is quiet a resource hogger its a good place to start...

Ill leave you in the capable hands of Rorschach112 , however i will check back just in case i can put 2 cents into it... ( two heads are always better then one , so they say :) )

Best of luck
&
Happy computing

Anthony19

PS: You have run ATF cleaner ??? , i recommend CCleaner ( as i have been told ) , ccleaner is able to remove the index. dat files ( can build up to an large amount over time ( depending on type of computer usage like anything... ))

PSS: to get the full drift of your problem... just a couple questions to follow through below

Is the computer slow at any certain point ( eg : opening a program / Internet explorer page ) ?

Is the computer Slow starting up ?

Or both lol

Edited by Anthony19, 15 April 2009 - 07:01 AM.

kasperbs

kasperbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

His log was clean, I don't think its malware related myself

When did you install Norman anti-virus ?

He got the PC as part of an education project financed by his work place. The PC/laptop came with XP and severaal education programmes preinstalled, Norman anti-virus was part of the original software configuration.

Edited by kasperbs, 15 April 2009 - 07:11 AM.

kasperbs

kasperbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
It might simply be a case of too much software over a long period of time that is slowing the beast down. It's not a new pc anymore either. If they are to any help I have attached a few of the logs that was requested by Anthony19.

PS: You have run ATF cleaner ??? , i recommend CCleaner ( as i have been told ) , ccleaner is able to remove the index. dat files ( can build up to an large amount over time ( depending on type of computer usage like anything... ))

PSS: to get the full drift of your problem... just a couple questions to follow through below

Is the computer slow at any certain point ( eg : opening a program / Internet explorer page ) ?

Is the computer Slow starting up ?

Or both lol

I hope you see all these edits, I don't want to flood the thread with my replies.
I've run ATF cleaner and everything else in the thread you originally pointed me to. My dad says he's run CCleaner himself but only noticed a small change.

Personally I don't generally think the PC is slow overall, but I don't know since he's the one working with it. I think it's very slow at startup, when I first open explorer there is a long delay. But personally I think the biggest problem is the time it takes to start up.

But when my dad get's home I will ask him if there are any specific points where he notices a real delay.

Attached Files

Edited by kasperbs, 15 April 2009 - 07:17 AM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Actually you do indeed have malware.

Please head over here

http://www.geekstogo...emoval-f37.html

Post your OTListIt2 and Rooter logs in a new topic there. Do not attach the logs

We don't fix malware problems in this part of the forum so you have to go to the above link

kasperbs

kasperbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Actually you do indeed have malware.

Please head over here

http://www.geekstogo...emoval-f37.html

Post your OTListIt2 and Rooter logs in a new topic there. Do not attach the logs

We don't fix malware problems in this part of the forum so you have to go to the above link

Thanks, I only attached them because I assumed you didn't want logs in this forum since you deleted my original log.

kasperbs

kasperbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thread continued here