Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows will not log in (it logs in and then off immediately)

• Please log in to reply

mark41

mark41

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 with 75 GB hard drive, windows xp media edition. A friend surfed the web and got a pop up, he called me when all the machine would do is turn on and show his background image, no login option and ctrl alt del will not bring up the task manager. I got to safe mode it shows login icons however when I try either his or the admin it logs on and the immediately logs out. I put in the dell supplied OS CD and tried the OS repair which took about an hour and when it finished I had all of the symptoms. I can also say that from info on the forum I went into OS repair facility and tried to use the recovery console to and the files "wsaupdater.exe" and "userinit.exe," do not exist in the windows/system32 folder.

I need to get access to the files on this computer since my friend has not done a back up on several months (very bad) any suggestions other than remove the hard drive and slave it to another computer copy the files initialize the hrd drive and reload everything????

THANK YOU

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
put your winxp pro cd in cd drive and reboot your system
when promted to push any key to boot to cdrom then click a key
Click R to enter recovery console

type the following

expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32
click enter

once it says
1 file copied
then type exit
and click enter
system will reboot
make sure to remove winxp pro cd before it boots up
let it boot fully
Windows should start normally

If not post with result

Edited by rshaffer61, 15 April 2009 - 09:04 AM.

mark41

mark41

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
that allowed the login, however I immediately got the sypware 2009 alert I will try running malware bytes unless you have another suggestion. Thanks so much for the logon help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please reply with what spyware alert as I don't see that in initial statement. If you are saying you may have a infection of some sort then

Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here.