Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

web page won't load hangs

• Please log in to reply

pscobb

pscobb

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi this is my first time ever posting so please understand that I know just enough about computers to do harm. I too some classes at IUPUI. So here is my problem. When I access the internet either with firefox or IE it will open and with firefox it will rapidly give me the home page of goggle. When I try to access any pages it atempts but hangs. I have to keep refreshing or highlighting the address bar and hitting enter again. Sometimes this works others not.
OK What I have done so far

First I contacted AT&T was on the phone with them for over 4 hours no resolve we lost connections and they did not bother to call me back.
She did say that my Norton had expired and that could be the problem. So I wen't to my son's computer and burned the download fpr the Norton Removal tool and removed Norton.
Then I burned to DVD for AVG
I removed Norton and INstaled AVG -ran scan it found about 35 cookes and removed them.
Results: no change
Second I came here surfing and it said that I could have malware so I went through all the steps for malware removal. Side note I had to once again go to my son's computer to burn each thing to disc.
Results: it found that in my regestery I had adware popcap and removed it.
Still did not make a difference in my connections.
I am operating XP Pro I purchaced last summer Max antispyware and Uniblue Registry Booster the Uniblue had always came back with 3 errors and even when it said it had fixed them it was allways there. I had contacted Uniblue and they told me it was noting just to ignore it. Now that popcap is removed when Uniblue is ran it comes back with no errors.
I can not get any updates from any place and windows update hang on my bar so I had to go in and disable it.
I did run the rooter rootkit detector and the Old timer list but can not post what it says because it was done on disc and it keeps saying that it can not find word pad on drive D so I can't post what it found.
Third I saw where sonone had posted that I should removed firefox and reload it. I burned firefox and removed it and then reloaded it.
Results: nothing still hangs.
I beleve it is not my internet connections because my son's computer is running wireless off of my connectins and his runs great! So we are getting feed.

Any sugestions?

Thanks
Pat

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Because there is a possibility that you may have an infection still. Take the following steps and make sure

Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

pscobb

pscobb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks I am trying I just ran through the thing again and now it says it has found 13 trogans, 1 popcap, and 1 malware figure I made it worse when I removed Norton. I don't know going through the steps but it is hard because everything keeps wanting to get updates and my computer will not let them get updates. Like I said before I am having to use my son's computer to burn on CD the programs but when I install them they want to look for updates and they can't get through. So flustrated right now. It's tax time and I work for an accountant from home and I do data entry. Can't touch the computer till I get this figured out have to protect the customers. We have had to file extensions because I can't get the recepits in. I might lose my job over this. :) Thought I had good protection boy was I stupid.
Any sugestions on the updates problem?

Pat

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you are still finding then follow the instructions I posted earlier. Start a topic in Malware forum and post the requested logs as instructed from the tutorial. The techs there have been trained to deal with malware issues and they can only help you..