Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No XP Installation found

• Please log in to reply

infowttech

infowttech

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
If no installations are found, then you will not be given the option to repair. This may happen if the data or partition on your drive is too corrupted.

Note: If you install a fresh copy, all data on that partition will be lost! I think that's what I did HELP! How do I go about reloading XP Professional? I checked my hard dirve and it had a bad sector but was reapired. No help from Dell or Western Digital. :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not sure what you're asking...

what have you already tried...what's the original issue?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello welcome to GeeksToGo, We will be happy to help you. If this is a laptop then if you have previous attempted a install that failed then the hd should have a recovery partition on it to bring everything back to factory settings. If not then the recovery cd that should have come with your system should have everything you need OS and drivers or a drivers disk should have been included.

We will need some more information

If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

infowttech

infowttech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Dll Optiplex GX620
Xp Professional 4 years old
152578 MB Free
Unpartitioned 8 MB
Partition1 [Unknown] 152578 MB free

seems to bring up the physical dump message around the 8min point.
The computer was running extremely slow and was unable to get an internet connection.
It was a quick format on the boot disk.

I ran the memory test, created a boot disk, ran the test for about an hour with out errors.

I download the western digital diagnostic tool. Ran a complete scan of the hard disk and
I did have a bad sector and repaired it.

Then it would only boot to disk

Reset the BIOS. Disconnect the power cord and remove the CMOS battery for 10 minutes. Reinstall, boot and set time, date and boot priority.

And now the windows screen and dell startup screen recycles over and over and never logs in. I requested a new installation disk from Dell and now I get an error "setup was unable to format the partition. The disk maybe damamged.

I have contacted western digital and I'm out of warranty and Dell has not be helpful at all, I have had at least 5 chat sessions with no help. I never get tot he part via Dell instructions where after the partition is formatied the XP Pro installation begins.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
"And now the windows screen and dell startup screen recycles over and over and never logs in. I requested a new installation disk from Dell and now I get an error "setup was unable to format the partition. The disk maybe damaged. "

Is this saying the hd is damaged or the installation disk is damaged. If hd is damaged then you need to buy a new hd. Being you are contacting WD I'm figuring you have a WD hard drive. If that is the case then go Here
and take a look at what you are going to pay for a new drive

infowttech

infowttech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok, Thank for the link, I'll put one on order.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome. Please let us know what happens be it good or bad.

infowttech

infowttech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Looks like hard dirve failure, I purchased a new HD and all is well.

Thanks again,
AD

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible