Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Laptop Doesn't Have Power

• Please log in to reply

Tandt625

Tandt625

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have an HP Pavillion laptop. Yesterday I tried to connect my camera to my computer. I got the Windows error "USB Device Not Recognized" After trying to unplug it and plug it back in and it not working, I tried plugging in my MP3 player (it worked) and then plugged in the camera again and it worked. I had problems off and on with the camera and the power cord lights going on and off periodically especially when plugged in at the same time. The USB and the power cord inputs are in the same area on my computer. It seemed as though they were intrefering with each other. Today the power cord is not working. It will not light up and my computer won't turn on at all. What is causing this and is there anything 'I can do? Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hello Tandt625

Welcome to G2G! My name is Oreo Collas and I'll be helping today. Please be sure that you print or copy all of the instructions to a document on your desktop as many of the directions may require you to log into Safe Mode or unhook your internet connection.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure to read through all the directions and make sure that you understand them completly before doing any thing. If there is something that you do not unsderstand then let me know and I will elaborate. Skipping steps, working out of order, or working ahead of the directions may cause undesireable results.

First of all I'd like you to unplug the laptop and take the battery out.

Hold the power button for three seconds to drain any power from it. The lights may flash but the computer should not turn on.

Let it sit for five minutes then put the battery back in and plug it in.

Let it sit for another five minutes to allow it to charge then try to plug it in. Do you get anything now?

Tandt625

Tandt625

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Unfortunately, no. There is a light around the plug on the computer that normally lights up blue when it is plugged in. It does not light up at all (like there is no connection) and as I said before none of the USB's were working properly so I believe it's related to that problem.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I will diagnose those in just a moment. Before we go there, do you have a secong charging cable? Try to use a different power source. Any lights? If you do not have a second charger do you have a friend that has the same laptop?

Tandt625

Tandt625

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry, I was getting ahead of myself there lol. I only have an extra part of the cord that plugs in the wall, not the entire part that plugs in to the computer. I tried to plug my cord in there earlier and it didn't work.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Do you have a friend that might be able to loan theirs to you?

Tandt625

Tandt625

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I don't know of anyone that has the same cord.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Well, with the information you have given me it sounds like a problem with your hardware. Unfortunatally since it's a laptop there's not much opportunity to repair it. My recomendation would be to return it for repairs if it's under waranty or take it to a computer repair shop if it's not under waranty.

Tandt625

Tandt625

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I didn't think there was much I could do but thought I'd ask. It is not under warranty. Guess, I'll have to take it in for repairs. Thanks for your help.