Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dvd Decoder

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
How does one determine if your PC has a DVD Decoder already installed? I have a year old Dell system XP S 400. Following are my PC specs:

Computer Specs:

Dell XPS400 Dimension
XP-Pro Version 2002 SP2
Pentium ฎ D CPU 2.80 GHz
2.79 GHz, 2.00 GB of Ram

E Drive – Sony CD-RW CRX217 E
IDE\CD Rom Sony
F Drive – HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW
GWA4164B

Video Card – Nvidia GeForce 6800

Sound Card – Sigma Tel High Defin.
Audio CODEC

I have Window Media Classic
Nero Media Player
VLC Media Player

I still cannot view movies on my DVD. Was told one needs a DVD Decoder to do so. Can advise as to process of finding if my system already has a decoder and if not what online site would display same suitable for my PC system.

Advertisements

Belinrahs

Belinrahs

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
hello nondaj

You're looking for the K-Lite Codec Pack which you can find here: http://www.codecguid...download_kl.htm

You want at least the Standard version of the pack which includes the DVD decoder codec. :)

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Or try Media Player Classic :-)

small, fast, reliable, FREE...

http://sourceforge.n...lease_id=533090

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Or try Media Player Classic :-)

small, fast, reliable, FREE...

http://sourceforge.n...lease_id=533090

Ill recommend that one too. The K-lite Pack also has all you will need.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
To those who suggested Win. Classic player - already have that program and it is not working. And to Belinrahs - thanks for the link to a decoder. Will go download and give that a try. Do hope it works.

Before I download and install from that link, might you know how to check to see if my PC has a decoder and I do not know how to access it being a novice re PCs? Not sure if putting on another decoder if I already have one might cause problems.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
It doesn't matter if you already have a decoder. For playing DVDs I also suggest Allplayer. Download it here: http://www.allplayer.org/en
After downloading run Liveupdate to make sure you have all the codecs.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hey edge2022
I just downloaded the All Player, question for you, when I click on Liveupdate a window opens on the right and it scans the system for codecs. Then I click download now and I get the blinking red box right above that asking for a donations code. Whats up with that, do you have to donate to be able to download?

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Thank you Edge 2022. Will download your suggestion also and try it too. When I get time to try a movie using one of these programs suggested will report back so others might use your suggestions if they are in need of a decoder. Again thanks to all who helped re my questions about decoders.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Yea. I think you need to pay for the code.
You usually have all the codecs you need to play the popular formats anyways. The Liveupdate gives you a large amount of codecs for playing back rare formats.