Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC Shuts Down Intermittently

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I will wait for the results of the 2 tests. If they come back with no errors and as in post 4 you stated

"I booted the PC into DOS and it has been running for 3 hours now.

Previous to that, the PC would run for 1 to 5 minutes and then do its shut down thing. Again, while running Windows."

then I don't believe it is a mb problem. If it was then even being in dos mode would cause the shutdown. Please run tests and post results. I will monitor the topic for your response. Please run the HD test first as the memory test will take longer to complete

Advertisements

Pulaski CM

Pulaski CM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
My hard drive is a Western Digital WD1600AAJB. I did every step listed on the Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics page. Made a bootable CD from the .ISO file from Western Digital. Inserted the CD and it booted successfully... the problem is, there is no hard drive test mechanism in that program, so step #6 is unreconciled. So what now?

Pulaski CM

Pulaski CM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
My hard drive is a Western Digital WD1600AAJB. I did every step listed on the Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics page. Made a bootable CD from the .ISO file from Western Digital. Inserted the CD and it booted successfully... the problem is, there is no hard drive test mechanism in that program, so step #6 is unreconciled. So what now?

Pulaski CM

Pulaski CM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I apologize for the dual entries, Firefox crashed when I hit "Add Reply"

Pulaski CM

Pulaski CM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I'm having one of those days... I retraced my steps and found that I downloaded the Lifeguard Tools and not the Lifeguard Diagnostics... so I'll try this again! Ugh!!! So disregard the previous 3 postings...

Edited by Pulaski CM, 16 April 2009 - 09:00 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
hmm now this is strange. Let me check into that. Go ahead and run the other test I suggested. The memtest. that should run at least 2 hours to be effective. So if you want to let it run overnight that is ok. It's 10pm here so I'm going to get some sleep and get a early start in the morning. Post the results after the 2 hours or in the morning which ever you would like.

Pulaski CM

Pulaski CM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Couldn't get the Western Digital Diagnostics to run properly. Loaded in 1/2 hour but came to a standstill asking for A:\command.com. I located a diskette with PC DOS 6.0 Hard Drive Test and ran that overnight. It found no problems. I ran Windows XP Memory Diagnostic, and it found no errors on 6 of 6 sweeps. So the computer's been on in DOS mode for 24 hours and did not crash/shutdown once. I am now booting it up to Windows to see what happens...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then lets move on to another check

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it here: http://www.flyupload.com/, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
(this applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc")
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start>Run, type in:
regedit
Click OK.

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries (Values) on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive,(usually D:) and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Pulaski CM

Pulaski CM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The computer doesn't stay up long enough to run sfc /scannow.

Pulaski CM

Pulaski CM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
OK... I've been beaten here! Microsoft and Windows, you win!

I think it's a Windows problem/issue... I just don't understand why all power to the motherboard ceases only when running Windows. Doesn't shutdown when running in the DOS environment. I have used the System Restore from 2 days before the first occurrence of the shutdowns, and it still shutdown.

Can I start a reinstall of Windows XP Pro from bootup CD and rebuild the OS?
If I reinstall Windows XP Pro, can I restore the Registry with the Registry Editor backups that I made?
If I reinstall Windows XP Pro, can I restore the System with the System Restore backups that I made?
I believe that the programs that I have already installed need to be reinstalled, or is there another way?

Edited by Pulaski CM, 17 April 2009 - 10:46 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have your xp cd?
If so you can do sfc /scannow outside windows
Yes you can do a repair installation which in all rights fix your problem. Repair installation will allow you to keep your current programs and data. I do always warn everyone to backup their important data before doing any type of OS installation.
With that the repair installation steps

Insert your Windows XP compact disc (CD) into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter system bios
Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen
You will need to change the boot sequence so that the cdrom is first and the hd is second
Press F10 to save and exit, press ok to accept
The system will now reboot

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. Do not select this option.

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

Pulaski CM

Pulaski CM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thank you rshaffer61 for all of your assistance and the myriad of programs I learned about and used in this attempt to fix this problem...

Too bad we didn't discover the fault so that others could benefit from the knowledge we might have obtained! Maybe our next problem will have better results...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem, Have you run the scannow yet and if so what were the results?

Pulaski CM

Pulaski CM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I had to put my own PC problems to rest for the time being - I had to put together 2 systems from my collection of elder PCs and parts... kind of like charity work... single moms who want a computer for their kids but don't have money to buy one.

I should be able to get back to mine shortly (3 days).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the update and not to worry as I will continue to monitor your issue and will reply when you are ready to continue. Let us know if there is anything we can assist with in the meantime.