Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant get new lemark x3650 to continue printing

• Please log in to reply

kayona

kayona

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok, I used to have a lexmark printer, when the ink ran out I would refill the black cartridge and continue on. Just got a new lexmark all in one 3650, the black ink ran out, I refilled the cartridge, replaced it and went on to continue printing. I keep receiving a message that says, I need to 1. replace the ink cartridge because its empty or 2. try to continue printing. When I click ok and try to print i get the same message over and over. So my question is.........Do have to buy spendy cartridges forever for this beast or is there a way around this message so I can continue printing with my refilled cartridge? Thank you, Kayona

Advertisements

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hello kayona

Welcome to G2G! My name is Oreo Collas and I'll be helping today. Please be sure that you print or copy all of the instructions to a document on your desktop as many of the directions may require you to log into Safe Mode or unhook your internet connection.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure to read through all the directions and make sure that you understand them completly before doing any thing. If there is something that you do not unsderstand then let me know and I will elaborate. Skipping steps, working out of order, or working ahead of the directions may cause undesireable results.

Many of the new ink cartriges have an internal timer that you need special equipment to reset. You can eaither buy a new cartriage or take it to a store that has the ability to refill and reset them.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go into the lexmark all in one program and then maintenance
You need to tell it you installed a cartridge ]

that should stop the message from coming on again
Post back with the results

Edited by rshaffer61, 15 April 2009 - 12:13 PM.

kayona

kayona

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok, I went into the lexmark all in one program, maintenance etc. It doesnt have a place to say that the cartridge is new or old, my old printer did. It still give the same message. If as the first person who posted to my question says, it may have an internal timer, does anyone know how to reset that? I'm guessing I going to have to buy ink for this printer, grrrr. Really wishing i had bought something else, sigh. Kayona

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to all in one program
at the top left click on Maintain\Troubleshoot
Right window click on Device Status And Ink Levels
that will open a new window
Click on The button that looks like 4 different colored ink drops
Click on Install a new print cartridge
Click on Next
Now oyu should be in Select The cartridge installed
Open lower drop down window and click on No its new
Follow the prompts from there or click OK
This should fix the popup problem now.

Edited by rshaffer61, 15 April 2009 - 02:30 PM.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Don't worry. I got stuck with timers as well. Worst part is that if you don't use the ink it will run out of time and won't let you use it even if it still has ink. I won't swear that yours has timers, but it sounds like it. I'm not aware of how to reset it without special equipment.

kayona

kayona

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
My cartridge is a 36 if that helps any. I went into start, all programs and clicked on the new lexmark. I'm not finding anything that says maintain/troubleshoot. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. It does have maintenance that gives me the options of align, clean or install cartridges, also print a test page. I did go into the productivity maintenance portion and it brings up a window with images of the cartridges that are empty. It still only gives the options of align, clean etc. Should I be opening this program from some place other than start, all programs etc? I cant find anything for troubleshooting........thanks, Kayona

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
you need to go into install cartridges
then tell it you have a new cartridge.

kayona

kayona

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
This one doesnt do that. My old one did, it would bring up a page where you could tell it you had installed a new cartridge or the cartridge was old. When you click on install cartridges it only tells you how to install them step by step and then you can only close out the window. Kayona

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Try to go to a store that can refill cartriages (Such as inkjet island if you have one) and ask them. That's how I found out that mine has a timer.

kayona

kayona

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I think that is what i'm going to have to do. My old z654 or something like that, you could go into install cartridges and tell it that i had installed a new one etc. when all I had done was refilled the old one. I guess they learned from that, lol. Oh well, thanks so much for the help. Kayona