Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Local Area Connection constantly disconnecting

• Please log in to reply

mascia

mascia

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I really hope someone can help me with this problem.

Yesterday my internet started disconnecting all the time, so I called the ISP and they said everything was Ok and that the problem was on my
computer.
I thought maybe it was my notebook network card, which was unlikely since my notebook is brand new. I went to a friend and my internet was working fine at his place.

My next guess was the modem, so I connected it to an old computer (I'm using it right now) and, surprise, no disconnections.

Then I went back to the notebook and noticed what was happening.. every few seconds my Local Area Connection changed status from "Network Cable Unplugged" to "Identifying" to "Connected" and then to "Newtork Cable Unplugged" over and over again.

Everytime it says the network cable is unplugged, I get disconnected from my ADSL connection. I read a zillion threads on this and the only solution I found was to switch my connection from Autosensing to 10Mbps Half Duplex.

I did this and when I switched to 10Mbps Half or Full Duplex and connected, windows says I'm connected to internet but I am not (can't navigate or ping anything).

100Mpbs Full Duplex connection keeps dropping every few seconds and 100Mbps Half Duplex internet works, but it still disconnects (after 10-15 minutes, though) or when under load (eg torrents).

I really don't know what to do anymore, so any ideas are welcome.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron notebook, Windows Vista, Speedtouch Modem, ADSL connection and no routers.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey mascia -- welcome to G2G :)

Unfortunately, manually configuring the duplex setting is usually a "last ditch effort" before your adapter dies on you -- generally speaking, if one day you suddenly need to do this, it suggests that your network adapter is getting close to its expiry date. Usually, manually configuring the duplex setting allows you to get a few more months out of your adapter, however in your case it looks like you may be out of luck. How old is your network adapter? Do you have a spare NIC lying around, that you could try plugging in?

With that said, I really don't like suggesting buying new hardware without checking a few other things first, but it may come to that. The first test would be to rule out software interference, so please try restarting your machine in Safe Mode with Networking and see if the issue persists.

Step 1 - Restart your machine in Safe Mode with Networking:
Please restart the problematic machine in Safe Mode with Networking and then see if you can get an Internet connection; can you?
*Note: You will not be able to use a wireless connection while in Safe Mode; please ensure all tests are performed with a wired (Ethernet) connection.

Do you still lose your connection?
- Dan

mascia

mascia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Even in safe mode I keep losing connection. I guess the problem really is my network adapter, but, as I said before, I bought this notebook only 2 months ago. I'll call Dell tomorrow and see what they can do.

I just don't understand why my notebook works everywhere else but here.. I tried it at my neighbor's (adsl) and it works fine, and at my parents' (cable) and it also works fine.

My problem may be the adsl modem, which is really old, but then why does my old computer works with the modem?

Anyway, thanks for your answer.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Good points. What OS does the "old computer" use? It is possible that it's simply your modem and the Vista OS not clicking, for whatever reason. If the modem is old, I'd be looking at that as the cause of the problem before you send your laptop in to be checked. The cable unplugged message can be generate from both ends of the cable.

Try disabling IPv6 and Media Sense.

Step 1 - Disable IPv6:
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type ncpa.cpl and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
  • In the new window, right-click on your Local Area Connection and select Properties.
  • In the This connection uses the following items section, remove the tick beside (i.e. disable) Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then press OK.
Step 2 - Disable Media Sense:
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type cmd -- right-click on the cmd program and choose Run as administrator
  • In the new command prompt window, type netsh int ipv4 set global dhcpmediasense=disabled
Restart your machine and then see if the issue still persists.

- Dan

Edited by Dan, 23 April 2009 - 11:20 PM.