Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Computer - Errors Loading Games

• Please log in to reply

Mulch

Mulch

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

First post! Very nice site by the way.

I just bought a Dell Outlet PC for my daughter. Here are the specs.

Dell Inspiron 530
Vista
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E7400 (3MB L2, 2.80GHz, 1066 FSB)
500 GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
4 GB DDR2 NON-ECC SDRAM 800MHz (4 DIMMs)
16X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability

I tried loading a lot of my daughters games (she is 5 years old) and most of them would not work. I received all types of errors. Some errors mentioned DirectX, some mentioned Macromedia Project, and I forget some of the other ones.

I am thinking about adding a video card. Will this help?

Also, the one I found that I can afford is a - EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card ($69). But our computer only has a 300 Watt Power Supply and according to the video card specs, a minimum power supply of 350 Watts is required. I read one review that said they had a 300 Watt PWR Supply and it worked fine.

Looking for some thoughts on...

1.) Will a Video Card fix some of the errors we're getting?
2.) Is it worth taking a chance with this Video card even though the power supply isn't meeting the min requirements?

Thanks,

Mulch

Edited by Mulch, 15 April 2009 - 01:21 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to
Start>Run>type in dxdiag then click enter

There will be a window that pops up
Click on Display tab
Need the following info
Name
Manufacturer
Approx Total Memory
in the bottom of that window you will see a white window marked "Notes" Follow the instructions and post back the results.
As for the video card you are asking about it should fix your problems. You will have to disable onboard video
Questio, is the system still under warranty? If so you will have to have a certified tech do the installation of new video card or you will void your warranty. I hope this helps and will wait for your reply

Mulch

Mulch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I'll get the info you suggested as soon as I can.

Two questions.

1.) Are you saying it should be okay to use the Video Card listed above even though the manufacture spec's say your computer needs a minimum of a 350 Watt Power Supply and my computer only has a 300 Watt?

2.) Could someone let me know how I disable the onboard video?

Also, I was reading reviews on the Video Card and someone said the following - "memory in a video card is included in the maximum supported memory in a system, so the 1 GB this has may put a lot of older systems over their cap."

I believe my system is maxed out at 4GB right now. How will this affect the performance of the card?

Thanks,

Mulch

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Hi,

I'll get the info you suggested as soon as I can.
Thank you
Two questions.

1.) Are you saying it should be okay to use the Video Card listed above even though the manufacture spec's say your computer needs a minimum of a 350 Watt Power Supply and my computer only has a 300 Watt?
You should be ok but as with the nature of computers it would not hurt to look for a new PSU. I personally do not recommend anything less then a 500 watt
2.) Could someone let me know how I disable the onboard video?

Before anyone can advise on this question we would need to know if the system is still under warranty?

Also, I was reading reviews on the Video Card and someone said the following - "memory in a video card is included in the maximum supported memory in a system, so the 1 GB this has may put a lot of older systems over their cap."

I believe my system is maxed out at 4GB right now. How will this affect the performance of the card?
Video cards now have their own memory. The system can share some of its memory when needed. A 1 gb memory on a video card should not need any system memory
Thanks,

Mulch