Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

defragmentation

• Please log in to reply

TARGET66

TARGET66

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Want to defragment C:drive. Instructions say tap F8 key etc. and "you will see a Windows options menu" then click on Safe Mode. No Windows option appears. Just a White on Black screen displays but no "Safe Mode" option. Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
I Have 3 machines with win 98 installed 2 with 98 se. Only on one of the machines does tapping F8 during booting up bring up the "Windows Options menu". On the other two it is the CTRL key instead. In fact the Windows 98 resource kit book only mentions the Ctrl key, yet the Windows 98 secrets book says F8 or Ctrl (and here I am assuming XOR having never saw a machine where either one works). Don't ask me why. This web site usually advises F8 and I take it this works fine on XP machines, not having XP I'm not sure. But I think that advice should be modified to take Win 98 into consideration. Also note I have one win 95 machine and here also one has to press Ctrl (i think, seldom use it anymore)

try this and let us know if it works, the comment

No Windows option appears. Just a White on Black screen displays but no "Safe Mode" option.

concerns me a little since pressing the wrong key should just be ignored. ;)

hope it works :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Both should work except for when you have a multimedia keyboard with a function key lock.

the F keys do not work until Windows starts, or if you tap the Function lock lkey, they work, but then they sometimes with shut back off.