Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Shutdown Updates

• Please log in to reply

JayChu

JayChu

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
So, Windows XP has always been asking to update, EVERY DAY. ALL THE TIME. Everytime when I want to shutdown, SO INSTEAD, i "shutdown without installing updates". sometimes I might just shutdown with installing updates.

I just find it paranoid that microsoft is ALWAYS asking me to update, and I just wanna know what could be the reason for this.
It could be that sure, Windows XP needs a lot of updates I missed, or there's a bug.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When you shut down allowing update installation: Do you always get the same number of updates installed before the computer shuts down?

Sometimes an update installation fails and it keeps coming again and again. If this is the case then I found that the simplest way is to do the following: Click the yellow update shield in the taskbar. This will open the installation dialog box. Click the lower option ("custom install" or whatever the terminology is). Updates with checked boxes will show up. Write down the details of the updates and uncheck them. Continue and check the box "don't show me this updates again" or whatever is written there. Click OK.

The procedure will erase the updates from wherever they are stored and the problem will not repeat. Now go to Microsof and manually download and install the updates which you erased.

JayChu

JayChu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well, it's not that it's bothering me when computer is in use.
It's when it has to shutdown, that it says updates are ready to be installed.
But i think you may be right, that the update may not be installed properly.
I think i'll manually install the latest update and see how that goes.

^^ thanks a bunch.