Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Jumpdrives

• Please log in to reply

HalfDemonDaughter

HalfDemonDaughter

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I need help. I have a Lexar Secure II Plus jumpdrive with a lot of necessary information on it. I was viewing image previews on it when the computer I was at shutdown then rebooted. Since then when I plug in the jumpdrive a box comes up saying "USB device not recognized" or something like that. It says that the jumpdrive malfunctioned and windows won't recognize it. So far no one has been able to help me. I was wondering if any one knew what is wrong with it and how to fix it or if it can't be fixed how to recover the data that is on it. I know that there is still data on it because I managed to get it working once for a couple of seconds and copied one of the files onto another jumpdrive. The file was perfectly fine, it was as I had last saved it on the jumpdrive that is malfunctioning and I could view it and edit it with no problems.

Can anyone help? :) :)

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Hello, HalfDemonDaughter, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

I do not like to be the bearer of bad news, but unfortunately your jumpdrive is corrupted.

If you would like to test if it is corrupted or not, then please test it on another computer. If it is confirmed to be corrupted, then I suggest a replacement.

How to avoid jumpdrive issues in the future:
  • When using a jumpdrive, remember that it is a storage drive only. It is not like a mini hard drive, contrary to public opinion. What a jumpdrive cannot do is Cache. Jumpdrives are not powerful enough to run a file from its location on the jumpdrive. Therefore, when wanting to open a file, drag it to your desktop and then open it. Do not open it from your jumpdrive.
  • Never ever let a jumpdrive be removed from the system without unmounting it (right click and select Eject or Unmount) or Safely Removing it (System tray icon).
  • Do not let a system restart with the jumpdrive in. If needed, remove it immediately when the system changes over from shutdown back to boot.

HalfDemonDaughter

HalfDemonDaughter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you,

You were right, no matter what computer I plugged it into, it wouldn't work. I have been asking all kinds of people at my school to see if they could help me and they couldn't. Is there a way to get all of the files that are on it back? I really need them for school and I don't have any copies saved anywhere else.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Unfortunately, when these devices go corrupt, the data will not be available for rescue.

HalfDemonDaughter

HalfDemonDaughter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright thanks :) ....Is there any chance that something else might be wrong with it? I would like to go through all of my choices before giving up hope.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
At the college that I go to, we do graphic design. About once every quarter, we all discuss how important it is to not open a file from its location on the jumpdrive, but instead drag it to the desktop.

We found out, after running a file from its location such as a Photoshop file, the jumpdrive was corrupted.

If the device does not appear in your system tray, it means it is not getting any power. This is why it is corruption. I wish it was something else, but jumpdrives are very sensitive. Sorry for the bad news. :)

HalfDemonDaughter

HalfDemonDaughter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright... :) Thank you for telling me what was wrong with it. I guess I'll just have to find a way to get the information again from the same sources. If they're still there. Thanks. :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

We found out, after running a file from its location such as a Photoshop file, the jumpdrive was corrupted.

I believe that this will not always be true. I suspect that it will depend on the file and what you are doing with it. I would say a hefty graphics file might create issues, where opening a word or excel document (or pdf) would not create a problem.
I run and open files from my drives all the time and have never had a problem.

I am more afraid of corruption due to static. Such as holding it and walking across a carpet, or in and out on the pocket, or removing it from the computer without "unmounting" it.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
It happens to ALL flash memory. Flash Memory only lasts for so long. Through large file transfers, and uber-caching, also carries corruption.

With the inability of Data Execution Prevention, applications can just run on their own when launched from the flash drives. This can cause memory issues and buffer overflows.