1. Specs of my laptop: Intel PEntium 4 3.0 ghz 1mb l2 cache; 1gb 400 mhz pc3200 dual channel; 60 gb 5400 rpm hd; 17 inch 1400x900 WXGA+TFT lcd; Windows XP Home
2. Problem: While playing video games like Everquest 2 and Star Wars KOTOR 2 my character will slow down. Similar to a speed hack except my character slows down instead of speed up. It ran Everquest 2 fine for about 2 months before this happened so i know it has the capability.
Example: Start playing the game the character will run at normal speed for awhile then you hear the laptop fans? kind of start working really hard then you hear them kind of die off then the character starts moving really slow. The game will continue running fine it just slows down a hair, it's noticeable but only to someone who knows what normal speed is.
3. Known facts: I know that it is not a virus/malware/spyware I have done thorough cleanings and eventually followed up with a format(deleted partition completely) and reinstalled windows xp followed by eq2. EQ2 still did the slow down. I know that it is not internet connectivitiy issues being as how SW KOTOR 2 is a single player game.
4. TAke Note: If the laptop is booted from battery(don't plug into the wall) and the game is started... the game will run fine. But my systems windows reads my processor as 2.28 ghz. Meaning game's run fine at 2.28 ghz... but i bought a 3.0 ghz...... So i feel like the processor is overheating when it is running at 3.0ghz then it drops speeds to accomadate the heat and that's where the slowdown is coming from.
5. Conclusion: Widow PC tech support keeps telling me nothing is wrong with it. So i'm looking for help here so that maybe i can tell them what's wrong with it since they can't figure it out. Can anyone please help me... has anyone else had this problem???