Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

(win2k3 server) creating a home network with 2 computers and 2 laptops

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Ok here it goes. I have two computers and two laptops. On one computer I am running win2k3 server. On another one I am running windows 7. Both of my laptops are running windows xp pro.

I also have a dlink router, model dir-615

Here is what I want to accomplish because I am very new to windows server 2003. I also had did it when my main computer was running windows xp pro and not wins2k3 Server

I want to be able to store most of my files, music and movies on the pc that is running Windows 2k3 Server. I have two harddrives in that computer. A 250 gig sata and a 80 gig ide. Most of the files and folders are already on that computer.

On the server-PC, I want to have a folder(entertainment) set up where my music and movies and documents can be shared with everyone client or pc in the network. I also want to have a separate folder(Kfolder) for another user where her docs can be stored. She will have access to the Kfolder and the entertainment folder. I want to have one more folder (Mfolder) where I can store MY personal information on that only I can have access to.

So on the Server-PC, there are going to be 3 folders. KFolder, Mfolder and EntertainmentFolder.

I want to make my laptop have full control and have access to every single folder on the Server-PC, that is Kfolder, MFolder and entertainment Folder.

The windows 7 machine should also have access to the entertainment folder only. That is transfering files from the server-PC to the harddrive.

The other laptop should have access to the Kfolder and the Entertainment Folder.

I also want to set up a printer server (I think I am referring to it correct) where all three client PC's can print to the printer that is connected to the Server-PC.

Can someone assist me with this.

I already have every single computer under the same workgroup. Only the laptop's have firewall. Both laptops use zonealarm. The computers have anti-virus protection. Thank you very much.

Advertisements

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Ok here it goes. I have two computers and two laptops. On one computer I am running win2k3 server. On another one I am running windows 7. Both of my laptops are running windows xp pro.

I also have a dlink router, model dir-615

Here is what I want to accomplish because I am very new to windows server 2003. I also had did it when my main computer was running windows xp pro and not wins2k3 Server

I want to be able to store most of my files, music and movies on the pc that is running Windows 2k3 Server. I have two harddrives in that computer. A 250 gig sata and a 80 gig ide. Most of the files and folders are already on that computer.

On the server-PC, I want to have a folder(entertainment) set up where my music and movies and documents can be shared with everyone client or pc in the network. I also want to have a separate folder(Kfolder) for another user where her docs can be stored. She will have access to the Kfolder and the entertainment folder. I want to have one more folder (Mfolder) where I can store MY personal information on that only I can have access to.

So on the Server-PC, there are going to be 3 folders. KFolder, Mfolder and EntertainmentFolder.

I want to make my laptop have full control and have access to every single folder on the Server-PC, that is Kfolder, MFolder and entertainment Folder.

The windows 7 machine should also have access to the entertainment folder only. That is transfering files from the server-PC to the harddrive.

The other laptop should have access to the Kfolder and the Entertainment Folder.

I also want to set up a printer server (I think I am referring to it correct) where all three client PC's can print to the printer that is connected to the Server-PC.

Can someone assist me with this.

I already have every single computer under the same workgroup. Only the laptop's have firewall. Both laptops use zonealarm. The computers have anti-virus protection. Thank you very much.