Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP keeps crashing after fresh install...aaaarrggh

• Please log in to reply

yburt

yburt

• Pip
  • 6 posts
;) Hi All
It all started when i installed Partition Magic with the intention to partition my drive in order to keep my system files and data seperate. Well Partition Magic went about 50% through the process and BAM!! bluescreen of death and i was unable to use the repair disk created by PM nor could i use the repair function on the XP cd.

Well, i have reinstalled XP and what is happening is when i try to install my modem, XP just crashes. My Device Manager does not respond at all. I am unable to go to add/remove hardware in control panel bcoz it tell me that another instance of add/remove is running. XP runs fine forthe first two, three restarts but just starts crashing after that....will not respond and having to end tasks through Task Manager.Task Manager prcesses show that rundll32.exe is running and when i end the process it does not respond. i have reinstalled xp again to make sure the install did not get corrupted some where down the line but to no avail......

Any ideas please!!!???? :tazz:

Advertisements

comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
i had a similar problem..i mean i too had a crash while running PM...wat could have happend is that is the entire disk wouldnt have been properly formatted in FAT32..is this problem only 4 the modem?..have u run a disk analyser?

yburt

yburt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi There

Well, when i reinstalled i chose to format the disk usering NTFS. I also did the the complete option not the quick format.

so i take it the disk has been fully formatted. haven't run disk analyzer just yet. will need to go home and do that, but do you have any other ideas ???